True Romance - Clarence Worley / christian slater costume

teedoubleyou

Howdy,
I'm looking to recreate the look/costume of christian slater's in true romance. Specifically the jacket in the final scenes of the movie. This one > https://goo.gl/images/wyeZpo
Seems almost like something inbetween a blazer suit jacket to a casual sweater material.

Next month maxcady.com should be releasing the M65 vietnam jacket with screen accurate patches that slater wears at the start of the movie. Naturally gonna bag me one of these. But would love to start tracking down other elements of his costumes. I can't seem to find any elvis glasses that aren't completely cheap plastic novelty ones.

For me True Romance is relatively underrated in how timeless the costume design in the film is. Much like tyler durden of fight club. The style hasn't aged, if anything more relavant today.

I'll update with images of finds and please feel free to add your findings and love for the movie and it's costumes

LOVE this movie, do you own/ or have you checked the double disk directors cut for info? the second disc has scene specific commentary, i don't know if it has any costume info... i geuss start with the easiest and buy the plain white t-shirt and button fly levi's and shoes and a nice replica chrome pistol etc.

Ok so i've been scouting the net for a copy of this jacket. Really i'd like an exact replica from somewhere like maxcady.com (contacted them and they have no plans to make it and wished me luck in finding a second one) or indiemagnoli/magnoliclothiers.
I'll scout some decent snaps of the jacket for anyone who is also up for the challenge and post any findings.

So far i've discovered this jacket as being reasonably accurate in style though the neck should have a collar and the arms should end in cuffs not elastic but the style matches.

http://batmj.com/back-to-the-future-bttf-biff-1955-jacket-p-225.html
Biff 1955 jacket similar to the one worn by clarence
BTTF_1955_biff_jacket_1.jpg
d17c371abe2abbdfe52cd5c877fe1135.jpg
22e399159c2ba153ddac38a9efa9f4af.jpg

Excellent find! Yeah, they said replica, but I’m wondering if it’s true vintage? If so, the label would be very helpful!

Yeah i believe so. A strike of luck was the user appears to be active and got back to me pretty quick. The sad story is it was a singular luck find on ebay and is merely his own collection/prop, however he did mention the label/brand was 'Cougar International'. I've frantically hunted over 192 pages of ebay for a similar luck find... no joy yet. Will look into contacting the user for some more detailed images of the shirt in hope to recreate the shirt somehow

Update:
So i couldn't help but to message the guy selling the jacket for more info and pictures. He sent one and explained that it has no inside tag/label meaning it was perhaps custom made for the movie. My conclusion, however, is that the jacket is actually a reversible jacket. Many jackets like this were designed this way. Classic ricky/gabardine jackets would commonly be the only jacket some men would own in the 50s so reversible was very common. Also he said 'one of the pockets has fake blood stains in but i can't remember which but you'll know when you see the film'.... how fricking cool. But this also made me think the guy is selling it by proxy, perhaps held at the studio or he lists stuff for the studio. To not remember which hand went in the pocket and to own the jacket seemed off. Anyways heres the second image he sent:
s-l1600.jpg

In even better news i managed to track down a vintage copy of the very same hawaiian shirt worn by slater. Should arrive today so i'll post images and info. But here's a pic saved from the listing on etsy
il_570xN.1626521519_64jw.jpg

LOL yeah customs needs to worry about a hawaiin shirt :facepalm hope you don't end up on the "most wanted" smugglers list :cheers

I've managed to track down a near replica/vintage gabardine jacket. Will post pics of it when it arrives too. As i suspected the lack of tabs on the original jacket would mean it was a reversible jacket much like the one i've purchased. Which is dark blue on reverse.
016-1000x1333.jpg
021-2-1000x1333.jpg
020-1-1000x1333.jpg

It has the small black portion on the waistband just like the movie but is a cross grey fleck rather than horizontal/striped. Pretty sure it's even the same design and make which is 'campus'

Congratulations! Looks amazing!! And excellent work! I’ve seen the same thing in collecting Fight Club wardrobe, too - vintage fabrics being used by multiple designers. I actually just found one by a third company! It’s a little pricey, and the pattern placement is off, but for anyone interested, it’s searchable on Etsy using “50s men’s orange Hawaiian shirt”. This one was made by “Curacao”. Thanks for all of your work, tee!
B39D6C5D-CDBC-4F27-AD70-B80CD1E8BF8C.jpeg1D0D031E-7175-421C-B670-B169FAA7767A.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back