Will we ever see another large Bandai Star Wars ship?

Nocoolname

Sat here, looking nostalgically at my PG MF and the couple of 1/48 kits from Bandai before looking in despair at their latest releases and wondering if we’ve seen the last of the big kits from the ‘Big B’?

I’m sure the new vehicle kits will please someone, perhaps those looking for a replacement for the fury dice in their car (I had assumed this was the plan for the DS2?) but anything past the 1/72 and I’m having to rope in the services of a radio telescope to see what I’m doing. 1/48 would be an utter treat and it always seemed weird that Bandai burst on the scene with not one but three iconic kits in this scale but then went silent. To me that left the X-Wing hanging free without a couple of 1/48 Ties and (if only) a Tie Advanced to do a good sized DS run. The creation of an AT-ST but not a 1/48 scale AT-AT to accompany both this and the T-47 seems equally and oddly abrupt.

So I really am hoping that Bandai gets over their RPG gaming pieces phase and finishes up the lines already started with another ‘big kit’ treat to follow last years PG MF success. If not a larger AT-AT, then a 22” Blockade Runner would be an utter treat and would restore my wallet’s faith in the Big B.

Just my tuppence!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandai's standard scale is, and always will be, 1/72. Bigger pieces will be scaled down to 1/144, and smaller subjects will be scaled up to 1/48. Bandai's going for a "I can put a lot of these kits on a shelf" size.

That's not to say they won't do another big kit, however. It just takes time; it took them 3 years to get that Millennium Falcon out, after all. I'd say patience is a virtue in this regard.

It might be fair to say they are more focused on the Japanese market? Space is at a premium there and so I would guess few have room for big models. Thus, the emphasis on smaller scales.

I really appreciate and admire the Japanese approach to manufacturing things "the right way" with great quality. Yet, I also share your frustration with how small the resulting models often are.

I’m looking forward to more 1/350. I’ve been enjoying putting in the effort to add more detail at that scale. Large kits take up space.

Patience. If only time were that kind.

Bandai are amazing engineers, especially when it comes to up-scaling, as the Falcon shows. Failing to exploit this potential is almost as frustrating to watch as not having the kits in my preferred scale.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I could cope with the ‘1/72 is their scale’ thing. A 1/72 Blockade Runner would be amazing

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back