Help: How can I strengthen paper/pva masks?

Alrightman

Hello everyone! I am making papermache Jason hockey masks from a plaster mold negative, using PVA and sheet paper. The problem is the masks seem to be warping here and there even with about 20-40 layers. I tried using scrap fabric in between paper.

Is there anything else I can do to strengthen the masks without having a massive number of layers?
Thank you!

Hello everyone! I am making papermache Jason hockey masks from a plaster mold negative, using PVA and sheet paper. The problem is the masks seem to be warping here and there even with about 20-40 layers. I tried using scrap fabric in between paper.

Is there anything else I can do to strengthen the masks without having a massive number of layers?
Thank you!
A while back I found a paper mache mask making tutorial that used minwax wood hardener. Ive never tried it myself but I believe the artist also used a hard formula of wood glue as well. Its worth a try!
If I can find the tutorial I'll link it (if it still exists!) but this was a pretty long time ago. I just remember because its something I want to try next time I have a paper mache project. Hope this helps

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

A while back I found a paper mache mask making tutorial that used minwax wood hardener. Ive never tried it myself but I believe the artist also used a hard formula of wood glue as well. Its worth a try!
If I can find the tutorial I'll link it (if it still exists!) but this was a pretty long time ago. I just remember because its something I want to try next time I have a paper mache project. Hope this helps

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! I wonder if there is a way to thicken the glue mixture to shorten the application time, as you said. Around 40 layers of printer paper is my breaking point, I think. I wonder if I can dope it with the no brand generic wood filler that we have over here.

Thanks for the reply! I wonder if there is a way to thicken the glue mixture to shorten the application time, as you said. Around 40 layers of printer paper is my breaking point, I think. I wonder if I can dope it with the no brand generic wood filler that we have over here.

Just use less water with your glue and if it's still taking a while to dry I'm sure you could use a hair dryer to help speed the drying process up.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back