Plastic recommendation help

DeLano80

Sr Member
Hello. I am looking for plastic sheet but I am not sure which type of plastic to get. Hoping for some help. I am looking for .09375 (3/32") thick and it needs to be opaque white and smooth. I need to be able to paint it and get the paint to stick. The background is mostly white. I tried some LDPE but the paint didn't stick well. Any suggestions? HDPE? Delrin? ABS?
Thanks in advance!

I would suggest styrene. It comes in white, and it takes spray paint pretty well. not sure how large a piece you need, but most model shops sell sizes with a thickness close to what you're looking for. Hope that helps!

I'd also recommend Styrene. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for. All of the poly ethylene products (LDPE, HDPE) are so loaded with mold release that they need to be treated with heat and alcohol in order to draw out and remove enough release agent to allow paint to stick, and even then you can have trouble. ABS is paintable, but styrene is the common plastic sheet used for hobbycraft and modeling and takes paint fine.

You can find styrene sheet in most hobby stores and online. A cheaper way to get it is to buy larger sheets at a place that sells industrial plastic products. They call it HIPS. High Impact PolyStyrene. It comes in various thicknesses but the problem is that it usually comes in 4'x8' sheets, so you need a larger vehicle unless you want to spend some time cutting them into pieces. I've picked up a few sheets in several thicknesses many years ago and still have lots left.

TazMan2000

ABS and Polycarbonate will take the impact and will also take paint. Polyethylene is notorious for getting anything to stick to it, unless it is properly flame treated. Even that isn't guaranteed. Polycarbonate can crack and possibly create shards that can be quite sharp. HIPS is much softer, cheaper, and has less strength, but won't create dangerous shards.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back