Shark fin sled build question

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Would there be an easier and less costly way to make the JAWS fin sled as shown in the pic? It looks to be pretty basic except all the pneumatics. Anything cheaper and more modern that can replace the pneumatics?

8C9FCC6B-0971-4C56-B890-D9FE52974C48.jpeg

So if I'm understanding the picture correctly, the pneumatics are for controlling the rudders? Could a submersible solenoid do the same job? Obviously it would require a source of power, so that would need to be sealed. That's the big issue, really. Pneumatics replace the need to have electrical stuff underwater.

Depending on what you're plan is maybe you don't need the rudders. It's a question of how much fine control you need. That comes down to what you're planning to do.

Thanks gentlemen.

Apollo, I'm working on a family drama webseries set here in Hawaii. In preproduction but writing quick episode plots for my producer to pitch. We have two pilot episode treatments, one involving a shark. If we can get a sled built, we'd rather go with that as our pilot.

I was thinking an airplane remote control rig since the sled would have the same pitch, roll and yaw axis but would those servos be strong enough in water? Probably why they had to use pneumatics. What say some of you?

I suppose it depends on the script and shots you need to capture, but do you need the extra control? Could you pull a simpler sled with or from a boat or from shore?

I would check out videos on how real sharks look swimming near the surface. The rear fin is used for propulsion and constantly moves from side to side. Contrary to popular belief, sharks do not usually attack on the surface, and prefer to attack from below. If the rear fin is out of the water, their shark's speed and maneuverability is greatly reduced. Check out videos of Universal Studios Jaws ride and see their extremely expensive rigs that look extremely fake compared to how sharks really look in the ocean.

TazMan2000

I've read some articles on Great White sharks and they don't tend to get that close to land. It's usually a misidentified bull shark. I looked it up after Deep Blue 2. This rig idea seems very expensive.

The rig has to be heavy enough no to "bob" into the water. So you're dealing with quite the heavy support already...regular servos won't do, hence the pneumatic set-up on that blueprint. You could make it as a "one-depth-rig" (without the pitch, yaw and roll). A motor, ballasts & rudders to keep it at a "normal" depth at the surface of the water...or a simple sled (rudders, ballasts and no motor) pulled by cable by a truck on the beach.;) Good luck!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back