What did you think of A Simple Favor?

• It was good. Liked it very much.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was disappointing.

• It was bad.

• Total voters
Oh? Am I the only one that saw this? I caught it last night just out of pure curiosity since nothing was really advertised about the movie in its trailer. I knew it was a mystery movie and that kind of gimmick in not giving anything away about the movie really piqued my interest.

Having seen it now cold, I thought it was just okay as a mystery thriller...a kind of awkward and rough one at that. It's a drama, mystery-thriller but it's shot, staged, and treated like a comedy. Not that it can't have its own kind of fun, but it feels really clunky as a movie.

Don't get me wrong, the film is actually fairly stylish and both Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively are good in it (and Kendrick, I realized, can be really sexy if she wants) but for much of the film Kendrick does the typical "modern" style of comedic line delivery, where you say a silly line really fast or say something silly in a dull way. I think that works against the movie because when everything Kendrick says is in a "joke-y" manner, it's harder to believe or know when she's serious.

I think people know this now but this is a Paul Feig movie, and of his offerings, this is easily his best, but the man only can work within his limitations. The movie is just short of being something really good but it lacks a polish and sophistication that just keeps it from getting to that point, and that's all on Feig's shoulders. This movie wants to be classy, stylish, and chic, and there are hints of it, but how he just films the movie, treating everything like a comedy; having the movies editing be like a comedy, cutting back and forth for reactions; how bright and cheerful the cinematography is; and all of Kendrick's line be delivered comedically make this film feel tonally clunky and come off, ultimately, as kinda trashy.

The movie brings up La Diabolique at a certain point and, if anyone has seen it, you will immediately know two things: 1) What the film wants to be, and 2) Where the film is going. That being said, even though I figured out the rest of the film from that point on, it did enough to keep me interested for the remainder just to see how it wrapped itself up, and I did leave the movie in better spirits than I did seeing The Predator (perhaps my bar was already set low).

All in all, it was a decent movie. It was a bit sad to realize this had more potential than what was ultimately delivered but it is a decent offering. It can be stylish at points but it just lacks polish to really take it to where it could've gone.

The best way to see this is to go in knowing as little about the movie as possible so the movie is a fresh as possible. This movie is a great mixture of dark mystery and folly that looks great, too. I love a a good dark comedy and A Simple Favor does an admirable job and delivers with a little bump here or there.

A Simple Favor started out simply enough and quickly spiralled into a series of twists and turn. The movie is cleverly mixed with clues as we see the story unfold. There were some points that could've been better thought out or been told better - that I want to avoid for spoilers sake. The second half dragged just a bit, but everything comes together before you have time to check your watch,

While I never bought the chemistry they were supposed to have on screen, both Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively were both solid, perhaps even delightful, Whereas I never bought Henry Golding's performance at all.

Director Paul Feig shot a brightly lit and beautiful looking film that deserves the theater experience. His previous films have their comedic niche, but this really showcases something I've never seen from him,

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back