The Predator (Post-release)

What did you think of The Predator?

• Total voters
That article was really good, EXCEPT, they ask:

"11. Did Sterling K. Brown get cut to pieces or did he live to chew another thousand pieces of Nicorette gum?"

The dude got his head blown off by his own predator shoulder cannon he was wearing! Pretty sure he's not gonna make it.

EDIT: The article clarified it.

I walked out when they befriended the alien dog. It was so bad I was expecting Chris Hansen to sit down next to me.

hansenlol.jpg

I did think the jokes on the bus were funny, but yes, it was too vulgar.

It was a crappy movie, but I enjoyed it for the entertainment factor. The first half was great, though!

My problems:
1) Waaaay too much swearing and vulgarity.

In the motel room scene, I think the writers had a contest to see how many times they could get away with using the “P” word (kitty cat) in 30 seconds.

So I watched it again. One of my questions was why was fugitive killing everyone. He only killed the 'bad' guys who had him sedated and wanted his tech. He motioned to the good guys to drop their weapons. He wasn't trying to kill them. I wondered why they were willing to kill Olivia Munn but it is because she stole the vial of fluid they had extracted out of the fugitive. She had said before they were keeping her in the dark about it. I also wondered how the father knew the combination to the pred ship door. He scoped in on his son entering it. Other things: You can see the pred dog escape the trailer when the ship self-destructs. They shoe-horned a scene where main good guy grabs his stomach and is immediately seen leaving the RV after a toilet flushing sound. I guess this was to explain the stealth tech he used later on.

I just got home a bit ago from seeing this with my brother (in Dolby Cinema @ AMC for free with my AMC A-List membership :D), and we both enjoyed the movie quite a bit :thumbsup (there were things we both disliked, but nothing major).

Unfortunately the whole experience was almost ruined by some (shameless) couple though...long story short they were already seated when we first walked inside the theater, and they were doing something they should not be doing anywhere but at home (I won't go into details, but let's just say she had her head "on his lap"). My brother said something immediately, and at first I didn't believe him, but unfortunately there was no mistaking it :sick What made it worse is that they were sitting in the seats directly behind the seats we had reserved (the best/center seats in the auditorium). I tried to bite my tongue, as they did immediately stop when they saw us, but I blurted out "Classy" in a sarcastic voice when we got to our seats. After that I was very tempted to go speak to the manager, as I felt extremely uncomfortable with them behind us, but before I could even decide they both got up and left the auditorium, and thankfully they never returned.

Perhaps I sound like a jerk, but for some reason the whole thing really pissed me off :angry (I've done similar things before, but that was when I was a dumb teenager, and I made sure that I was never caught :lol).

How does crap like this make it actually into production? I mean damn. There were some decent parts, but by far there was way too much stupid. The ending I don't think could have been stupider. They should have kept the Dutch returns ending, way better than that dumb Iron Man rip.

How does crap like this make it actually into production? I mean damn. There were some decent parts, but by far there was way too much stupid. The ending I don't think could have been stupider. They should have kept the Dutch returns ending, way better than that dumb Iron Man rip.

This movie just ruins everything that comes before it retroactively. In addition, they completely erode the suspension of disbelief with about every other scene in this movie. The humor in this movie was so off-putting and disjointed from the other tones of this movie. It was like extreme Cocaine use on Black's part made him forget what he was doing halfway through doing it.

This movie changed the entire lore of the Predators, making the reason they collect skulls. They aren't for trophies! (despite having a damn trophy wall in Predator 2). While AVP makes people foam at the mouth - the first movie shows these alien hunters as honor-bound, trophy collecting warrior hunters. The fact that they have been changed into DNA modifying space invaders (global warming subplot) has betrayed the source material to the highest order. They didn't make this as being a small faction in the movie - they had the Assassin Predator (who was tracking/hunting Fugitive Predator) talk to the other Predators by saying he was hunting "the traitor." It is assumed that this is the new norm now with the movie.

Why would a Predator "betray" their race? I understand the concept of bad bloods, but this is much different. If Fugitive came to earth to help us - why the hell does he cut down every single human he comes in contact with for the majority of his screen time? Armed base troopers, unarmed scientists, etc. Nobody is safe except naked Olivia Munn.

How does autism (ASD withstanding) count as a survival trait that Predators would want? The hell? Predators are already masters of technology - they have successfully folded space to travel giant distances in short periods of time, have plasma laser guns, and cloaking technology.

Why does a nailgun shot to the head rewire how Predoggos work? Suddenly it's not hostile anymore? It's a derpy friendly gear-barfing carrying case? I don't understand. Why?

And what the heck was with Olivia Munn's character? I know she was trying hard, but she was no Ripley. She went from an academic scholar of science to a grenade-launcher shooting 80's commando! Where the heck was all the years of military training that she had between the start and end of the movie? Firearms training takes a great deal of skill and practice to master to become effective with any of those weapons. Keep in mind - this is the same character from earlier in the movie, who shot herself in the foot with a tranquilizer gun and tried to shoot our heroes with a gun she believed to be loaded. Let that sink in. I wouldn't trust her with a squirt gun.

And the "predator killer" - dafaq? This whole concept was terribad. Because Black did Iron Man 3, he couldn't think of anything else besides an iron man suit knockoff? The CGI in this movie looked like B-movie quality for the majority. Especially in the 3rd act. Bleh. Practical > CGI.

This movie only works if you are drunk, have never seen a Predator movie, and enjoy "kitty cat" jokes every five seconds. If you are looking for anything of substance from the prior movies... avoid at all costs. This is an unmitigated disaster of untold proportions. The box office has reflected this flop.

Production Budget: $88 million
Domestic Total (as of Sept. 30th): $47,634,251
Foreign Total: $$68,205,449
Combined: $115, 839, 449

Keep in mind with money-making as it comes to movies... I think it's something like 60% that goes to covering costs. After that, the rest goes to profit.

Last edited:
I finally saw and... It was better than AVP-R, but that's not saying much. While there was so much wrong with it, I still enjoyed it for mindless entertainment it is. Sure, it could've been better. Heck, it should've been better. But it didn't feel like I wasted money seeing it, so I guess it's got that going for it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back