ANH Han Solo Belt Disk

Halliwax to the rescue with the photo and the V2 info!

Thanks, I hadn't seen that pic in so long, I saved it this time. I wish more eBay auctions like this would crop up.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I'd say that phillbarron hit the nail on the head here. I looked for years for this piece and did a lot of research back when I used to make and sell belt/holster rigs back in the early 2000's around the time of the first fan designed ANH Solo blasters that went up for sale (I helped Boba Debt with some of the cast pieces on his kit). I crafted a cast metal replica that was based on all the screen caps and reference photos I could get my hands on and I made a piece that looks just like the cigar lighter top shown above. Same number and layout of the holes and everything. For some reason, I always suspected it was part of a piece to a humidifier that goes into a humidor. So, at least I had the cigar angle right. LOL

IMO, the search is over. KUDOS

I'd say that phillbarron hit the nail on the head here. I looked for years for this piece and did a lot of research back when I used to make and sell belt/holster rigs back in the early 2000's around the time of the first fan designed ANH Solo blasters that went up for sale (I helped Boba Debt with some of the cast pieces on his kit). I crafted a cast metal replica that was based on all the screen caps and reference photos I could get my hands on and I made a piece that looks just like the cigar lighter top shown above. Same number and layout of the holes and everything. IMO, the search is over. KUDOS

Yes, I agree. I'd say the source for the part has been found.

I'd say that phillbarron hit the nail on the head here. I looked for years for this piece and did a lot of research back when I used to make and sell belt/holster rigs back in the early 2000's around the time of the first fan designed ANH Solo blasters that went up for sale (I helped Boba Debt with some of the cast pieces on his kit). I crafted a cast metal replica that was based on all the screen caps and reference photos I could get my hands on and I made a piece that looks just like the cigar lighter top shown above. Same number and layout of the holes and everything. For some reason, I always suspected it was part of a piece to a humidifier that goes into a humidor. So, at least I had the cigar angle right. LOL

I haven't yet found one of the lighters that matches the hole pattern myself. Well, certainly not the one thats on display. I don't have many screen grabs from ANH though so cant 100% say. To me though I feel though its could be based on this, but not sure it is that part.

Great hunting skills you guys! Lol, @SFPROPS, took me a little while to notice it was your avatar, not some crazy insect crawling around on my screen. :lol

Here's a photo showing the disc from the book that went along with the original Smithsonian "Magic of Myth" tour, and the one I scratch built.
Circles.jpg
Here's a photo I took from one of the tour Solo costumes
backbelt.jpg
Here's screen cap that shows the shape but not many details
jab_han.jpg
And here is a photo of one of the belts I used to sell with the disc on it
holster_compare_1.jpg
So, yeah - I think it's what was used based on the evidence. At least on the ANH belts.

Here's a photo showing the disc from the book that went along with the original Smithsonian "Magic of Myth" tour, and the one I scratch built.
View attachment 843034
Here's a photo I took from one of the tour Solo costumes
View attachment 843035
Here's screen cap that shows the shape but not many details
View attachment 843036
And here is a photo of one of the belts I used to sell with the disc on it
View attachment 843037
So, yeah - I think it's what was used based on the evidence. At least on the ANH belts.

I disagree ... mostly with myself.

Two things make me doubt the original disk is a cigar lighter:

1) The central hole on the belt disk seems to be larger and deeper. It looks like there's a screw inside it which possibly wouldn't work with a lighter? (I guess it could have been drilled and counter sunk? Depends what's behind there.)

2) The pattern of holes on the belt disk is hexagonal, yet on all the lighters I've looked at they're arranged in a circle.

Neither of these points is conclusive either way, certainly regarding the ANH disk since the pictorial evidence is so scant ... but I think I'd need to see a lighter with the right number/pattern of holes to be certain.

While it might not be the exact brands/styles you've found photos of, the chances of it being so close in size and with the same basic features, and it not being an electric cigar lighter are slim, IMO.

It's also entirely possible the pattern of holes was more circular in ANH because it was a found item.By the time ESB came around it was replicated on a lathe and the holes were hexagon-ised.

Interestingly, in this photo it looks like there's a seam running around the centre of the edge. So it could have been a budbuster after all.

Capture.PNG

Maybe they used the whole thing for ANH and just the lid for ESB/ROTJ?

I'm wondering if this was also an original airplane part.

Another item I'm thinking of is a speaker from a toy that makes cow sounds. I remember these from the 1970's.
They were based on compressed air, so the holes were needed to help generate the sounds.

I'm wondering if this was also an original airplane part.

Another item I'm thinking of is a speaker from a toy that makes cow sounds. I remember these from the 1970's.
They were based on compressed air, so the holes were needed to help generate the sounds.

a5f349fb80c197c8ad7e30fae4a321f6.jpg

This sort of thing? I don't know what's in them, but I think there's no speaker as such? Pattern looks similar though.

Haha, I guess I hadn't realized just how many different found objects that have totally different purposes and uses share this very similar design!

Haha, I guess I hadn't realized just how many different found objects that have totally different purposes and uses share this very similar design!

I would add aviation basin waste to the list of possibles.

Ive been looking at "vintage microphone elements" for awhile now. Give that a google.

Yeah, again they all seem to have the holes arranged in a circular pattern ... but it could be easily a variant of them. Like you say, they may well have had an aviation or steward/ess announcement mic in the pile of bits - the problem there is finding an image of a dismantled one rather than the unit as a whole.

Another contender for the part, a microphone element!
58ca632887b0593fdc56ca8627d70f1c.jpg

I suppose the trick would be to find the correct size...

Ding ding ding. Dan wins the prize!!! The prize is …….sorry, nothing here. lol Its from a Voice of Music microphone. There are a few other names that used it. I've seen Philco and others. Its from a Harp microphone. You need to remove the center hole cover.

Here it is without the cover.
IMG_4861s.jpg

Last edited:
Ding ding ding. Dan wins the prize!!! The prize is …….sorry, nothing here. lol Its from a Voice of Music microphone. There are a few other names that used it. I've seen Philco and others. Its from a Harp microphone. You need to remove the center hole cover.

Here it is without the cover.
View attachment 851522

Another contender for the part, a microphone element!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181030/58ca632887b0593fdc56ca8627d70f1c.jpg

I suppose the trick would be to find the correct size...

Those look identical to me. An exact match even.

Ya, I guess the back has to be thinned down a bit because the actual prop is a tad thinner. I assume there is a screw in the middle hole to attach to the belt. Ive haven't built a belt yet but bought one when I located it. Its what Kurtyboy uses on his belt.

Ya, I guess the back has to be thinned down a bit because the actual prop is a tad thinner. I assume there is a screw in the middle hole to attach to the belt. Ive haven't built a belt yet but bought one when I located it. Its what Kurtyboy uses on his belt.

Do you know which Voice of Music mic it's from?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back