DC Comics' "Red Death"

chumcicle

In July, my son decided that he wanted to Cosplay DC Comics' Red Death for Heroes & Villains Fan Fest in New Jersey this year. For those of you not familiar with the character, he is Bruce Wayne from a negative Earth in the "Dark Multiverse" (Earth -52) who has stolen The Flash's Speed Force powers (absorbing his Earth's Barry Allen in the process) and become a speedster willing to kill. See this link for me information.

RedDeath_blog_59c5d22b4e98b9.06718439.jpg

While researching, my son found an amazing interpretation of the Red Death by the 3D Artist, Serkan Guvencli. His incredible work can be found here. The realistic design of the character blew my son away and he decided that the costume would aspire to capture the look and feel of Serkan's design. My son reached out to the artist and he was kind enough to supply high resolution images and the 3D model for reference.

serkan-guvencli-rd5.jpg

Armed with these files, a ton of foam from TNT Cosplay, a "Batman Beyond" armor template & a "Zoom" mask template from XiengProd on Etsy and an over abundance of optimism - we set out to make The Red Death!

I didn't take enough pictures of the build, but here is what we have:

IMG_6616.jpg

My wife sewed a fantastic body suit in dark red/maroon stretch spandex and we modified both the armor and helmet templates to better reflect the character. After "plasti-dipping" everything, we used every can of Krylon "Burgundy Satin" spray paint within driving distance to finish things off. We decided to add red LED eyes and El Wire to the abdomen and thigh armor.

IMG_6623.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

The whole costume didn't come together until the night before Heroes & Villains Fan Fest in New Jersey (of course) and we had to make some compromises along the way, but we were pretty pleased with the end result.

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

Here is one in the dark to better show the lights.

IMG_3357.jpg

In the end, my son had a great time at HVFFNJ and really enjoyed the cosplay. (his friend went as Red Hood)

IMG_6644.jpeg

40654272_149423265987748_6598253224142511621_n.jpg

40226206_491176618054827_1778255391234553860_n.jpg

Overall, we were really pleased with how the suit looked, but we need to work on the structural stuff like strapping, elastic and velcro to keep the suit on him better. Any advice for strapping the thigh armor specifically would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the velcro gave out just before the group DC Comics Photo shoot and the Cosplay Contest, but he had a great time and I'm sure we can improve the strapping.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back