Gimi's Walking Axe Build from LOTR

thepoynt

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all!

Just getting around to sharing some of my projects from the last year or so. I just got into propmaking about a year ago, and have been having a blast. I've been inspired in large part by a bunch of the awesome projects I've seen here, so I figured it's only fair to share my work and hopefully inspire someone else!

Anyway, here's a couple pics of my first major project, Gimi's walking axe from The Lord of the Rings. It's not perfectly screen accurate - I took a couple creative liberties - but it's pretty darn close.

43693374815_7095f09574_k.jpg

42792393720_6420559098_k.jpg

43693374975_093f0706df_k.jpg

It's made almost entirely of wood, with a faux leather braided handle. I've got more pictures of the build process if anyone's interested, just let me know.

Thanks everyone, and happy making!

I still want to figure out how to get rid of the white edges of the faux leather I used for the handle. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
I was thinking about trying to do a light wash of black paint over the handle, but I don't want it to get wet. Maybe black leather dye/polish, but I don't want it to end up tacky or have a residue.

That looks amazing. You did a great job. A lot more work put into it than I did. Can I ask what paints you used to get it to look like metal and where you got the faux leather for the handle wrap? In my experience with leather dye it does dry. It's been a while since I've used it so I don't know how long it takes. I do know that it is not tacky or have a residue on it.

Thanks! It was a ton of fun as a first project. And now I've been going ham on projects since then and have no intention of stopping anytime soon - what a fun hobby!

I believe it was just Rustoleum's basic "2x" black and aluminum spray paints. I just sprayed them into a cup and brushed it on. The drybrushing was testors, I believe.

As to the pleather, it was this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JK7VRC/ (or search amazon for "Plastex Fabrics Faux Leather Caprice Fabric by The Yard, Black")
The first stuff I got had a kind of batting on the back of it, which it turns out is pretty common. Finally tracked down this stuff which has thin white fabric as the backing. Much better (but still has the aforementioned white edge)

Yours is looking great, by the way! Can't wait to see it done!

Thank you for posting these great photos. They make an excellent tutorial, and it is great to see hand tools being used. :thumbsup

Woodcarving is where it all began for me, so using wood and hand tools in my projects is where I'm most comfortable. I now have almost every power tool I could want (and they're amazing), but my set of woodcarving tools are still my go-to for solving most problems. Though my bandsaw is definitely up there as well :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back