template making in Gimp

CdaddyP

just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a tutorial about how to create or edit a template in Gimp or Photoshop? I've created a template using duct tape and scanned it into the PC. I just want to clean it up and make it a tad bigger. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

In The GIMP, use the Measure Tool to measure a length in pixels that you know the real-world length of, or of what you want it to be.
Then open Image⇒Scale Image..., use a calculator to calculate pixels / millimetres (or pixels / inches) and enter that into X resolution (and into Y resolution).
After you have pressed Scale, the image won't change, only the parameters for how it will be measured and printed.

Then change the px at the bottom of the image window to millimeters (or some other real-world unit) and use the Measure Tool to take measurements in that unit to verify that your scaling value was not off by too much. If the measurements are a bit off, open the Scale Image... box again and tweak it.

I use this method a great deal, but most often to extract dimension from images.
With flat (orthographic) blueprints and patterns from tape, this should be straightforward, like above.
With photographs, however, it gets trickier because of perspective, and relies therefore more on my interpretation. Then, measurements may be accurate only along one axis but not elsewhere in the image. Other times, you would use one feature as reference only for another feature at the same depth in the image. etc. etc.

In The GIMP, use the Measure Tool to measure a length in pixels that you know the real-world length of, or of what you want it to be.
Then open Image⇒Scale Image..., use a calculator to calculate pixels / millimetres (or pixels / inches) and enter that into X resolution (and into Y resolution).
After you have pressed Scale, the image won't change, only the parameters for how it will be measured and printed.

Then change the px at the bottom of the image window to millimeters (or some other real-world unit) and use the Measure Tool to take measurements in that unit to verify that your scaling value was not off by too much. If the measurements are a bit off, open the Scale Image... box again and tweak it.

I use this method a great deal, but most often to extract dimension from images.
With flat (orthographic) blueprints and patterns from tape, this should be straightforward, like above.
With photographs, however, it gets trickier because of perspective, and relies therefore more on my interpretation. Then, measurements may be accurate only along one axis but not elsewhere in the image. Other times, you would use one feature as reference only for another feature at the same depth in the image. etc. etc.
hey thanks for the info! I will be giving that a try pretty soon.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Have you tired Inkscape? It's a vector program so it's great with scaling and measurements. I switched over to that from Gimp and never looked back.

Have you tired Inkscape? It's a vector program so it's great with scaling and measurements. I switched over to that from Gimp and never looked back.

+1. I still use both, but inkscape is definitely better for vector work. Gimp I use more as a parallel to Photoshop, for modifying/touching up existing files.

I just wish my occasional use of such programs justified paying for Adobe. I really prefer their software...

I would suggest using Adobe Illustrator (or any other VECTOR program as mentioned above)..

Scaling/re-sizing (especially up-scaling) is not for raster apps! :)

Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape..etc..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back