The Greatest American Hero gaffe

Murdoch

Sr Member
So I started watching the Greatest American hero and the main character Ralph Henkley's name appears to have changed back and forth in the first and second season. From Henkley to Hanley. Now it was the 80's the writing was cheese, acting was questionable the suit was bad. But as a kid I loved this show, very disappointed that the writers didn't pick up on this gaffe.
On a side note I am excited to see the reboot of this one...

Not only was it intentional, but they dubbed "Mr. Hanley" into lines that didn't originally mention his name. The most obvious one was an outdoor scene near a car, and Rhonda is saying "Mr. Hanley" every sentence. You can hear the differences in audio quality and see that the lip sinc is off. They were really pushing the name change.

Using this little thing called google.

The main character's name was originally Ralph Hinkley, but after the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan by John Hinckley, Jr., on March 30, 1981, the character's last name was hurriedly changed to "Hanley" in two episodes. In "Saturday on Sunset Boulevard", aired within days of the incident, this was accomplished by overdubbing dialogue (i.e. "Hinkley" to "Hanley") whenever the character's last name was spoken aloud. For the rest of the first season, the character was generally referred to as either "Ralph" or "Mister H", although in "The Best Desk Scenario" where Ralph is given a promotion and his own office space, we see the name "Ralph Hanley" on the door plaque. By the season 2 premiere, "The Two-Hundred-Mile-an-Hour Fast Ball", the show's producers returned the character's surname to the original Hinkley.

Using this little thing called google.

The main character's name was originally Ralph Hinkley, but after the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan by John Hinckley, Jr., on March 30, 1981, the character's last name was hurriedly changed to "Hanley" in two episodes. In "Saturday on Sunset Boulevard", aired within days of the incident, this was accomplished by overdubbing dialogue (i.e. "Hinkley" to "Hanley") whenever the character's last name was spoken aloud. For the rest of the first season, the character was generally referred to as either "Ralph" or "Mister H", although in "The Best Desk Scenario" where Ralph is given a promotion and his own office space, we see the name "Ralph Hanley" on the door plaque. By the season 2 premiere, "The Two-Hundred-Mile-an-Hour Fast Ball", the show's producers returned the character's surname to the original Hinkley.

Thanks Dbuck.
I didn't make the connection. Double shame on me lol...

Funnier, and I can't believe I only found this out recently, is that Hulk's "Bruce Banner" was changed to "David Banner" cuz Bruce in the 80's sounded like a "gay name"

tumblr_inline_mpncqvRlPK1qz4rgp.gif

Yippy ki yay Mother ******

Interesting point with that one, is that Stan Lee himself had goofed up and was calling him Bob Banner instead of Bruce Banner for a bit. So to clear everything up, it was decided that his full name was Robert Bruce Banner, and that he went by his middle name. The TV series went with a similar idea, except it was David Bruce Banner, so that they did keep Bruce as his middle name.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back