For those who are new to kitbashing and scratchbuilding...

CB2001

Master Member
Adam Savage, Mythbuster and longtime member of the RPF, has recently uploaded a video on his group's channel Tested. This video is a part of a series he does called One Day Builds, and this one is dedicated to the art of kitbashing and scratchbuilding. So, if you're new to it, you're about to watch a master of his craft (someone who worked on model miniatures on film). Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can also recommend Fon Davis's two DVD set, Introduction to Professional Model Making. It's over 4 hrs long. Amazon carries it and it's under $20.

I already have it. It was quite an interesting video. Highly recommend it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a great video! I have to say though that WeldOn solvents are incredibly toxic -- like, causing brain damage toxic. I use them a lot, and the manufacturer recommends an AIR-SUPPLIED RESPIRATOR when working with them. That's the kind that has a hose bringing you fresh air from outside the area. It means a dust mask or even a regular paint respirator isn't going to be enough to protect you from the fumes. Don't use this stuff indoors!

I actually went to the trouble of building a ventilated work booth so I don't have to breathe any fumes when working with solvents like this.

A couple other tips:

1) Using any sort of open dish or bowl as a "well" to dispense solvent causes waste in the form of evaporation and helps toxic fumes get up in your face. A very experienced modeler friend introduced me to something called a Menda Pump. This is used to dispense solvents in tiny amounts and helps avoid excessive fumes and waste from evaporation. You can get one from Plastruct.

2) When using a brush to weld parts with solvent, it must be a natural hair artists brush. Many paint brushes have synthetic hairs made from plastic. These are likely to dissolve or stick together and become unusable when dipped in powerful solvents.

I love any video where Adam makes models. I want to get more into kitbashing, but haven't found a good source for greeblies. Any recommendations for cheap model kits with plenty of decent parts?

I wish he’d shown how to do the curved piece on the end (marked 175 I think). Did he heat it and bend for something permanent? Did he just bend and glue and hold it until it stuck in that shape by mere tension?

I love any video where Adam makes models. I want to get more into kitbashing, but haven't found a good source for greeblies. Any recommendations for cheap model kits with plenty of decent parts?
in the end you will have to make yourself some silicone mould for your most used bits , i did one to do cockpits for 1/144 HG gundams and its saving me money already ( its just an ejection seat with some walls and floor , and some russian seat and cockpit tub)

I am so slow and try to be perfect that that would probably take me a couple days... When using a paint brush for solvent, do you just clean it with thinner?

Weld-On evaporates really fast.
I used it making aquariums several years ago.

Goes right through your skin.
If you get it on your hand it feels really cold then leaves a light white dust.

Once it drys on a non plastic surface you can probably just dust it off your brush.
Make sure to wear eye protection with it also.

If you want to thicken it, mix it with Weld-On #16 which has the consistency of Testers model glue in a tube.

When using a paint brush for solvent, do you just clean it with thinner?

Styrene will dissolve and gunk up your brush. You can clean it using more Weld On solvent.

Make sure to wear eye protection with it also. If you want to thicken it, mix it with Weld-On #16 which has the consistency of Testers model glue in a tube.

Good point! I 'd not thought about it making any sort of dust after drying. I imagine it's toxic if the liquid gets on your skin as it does absorb rather readily.

To me, #16 is more like thick pancake syrup or uncured epoxy. It's incredibly messy and goes everywhere, yet it starts to dry so fast you have only a few seconds of working time to use it.

Any computer/radio/T.V. innards has tons of greeblies (as well as laptop keyboards) make-up stuff, plastic door stopper, hair dryer, shampoo bottles, etc...and don't forget your best friend: the hardware store!!

in the end you will have to make yourself some silicone mould for your most used bits , i did one to do cockpits for 1/144 HG gundams and its saving me money already ( its just an ejection seat with some walls and floor , and some russian seat and cockpit tub)

Adam makes mention of having to do molding of parts, especially the Universal Greeblie.

https://youtu.be/dncRHH9f6MI

Any computer/radio/T.V. innards has tons of greeblies (as well as laptop keyboards) make-up stuff, plastic door stopper, hair dryer, shampoo bottles, etc...and don't forget your best friend: the hardware store!!

In addition to the above: parts of toys, some thick plastic containers like the 5 Hour Energy drink bottle, caps for tooth paste (especially the Pro-Namel kind), soda bottle caps also are useful.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back