Repainting American Werewolf in London WARMONGER latex mask.

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks. Another thread for something I painted. I wanted to timelapse myself finishing this one.. and then I didn’t! I forgot to take photos as well, but I did write some notes along the finishing process.

To start with, here is before.
E97B971D-758E-4CFD-BCA5-482520582E4E.jpeg35579C56-780E-4A40-91A1-C3A690C45D6A.jpeg02A8AFD1-F728-47BB-90A1-4839CDD48310.jpeg

Credit where it’s due, Trick or Treat Studios delivered an absolutely killer mask right out of the box. I almost decided to leave it “stock.” This beautiful sculpture by the insanely talented Mikey Rotella just needed a little bit of love, so I decided to crack open the forever trustworthy Tim Gore’s Bloodline.

I hit it with acetone to clean it and strip off any paint that I could. A quick pass of brown Rubber Cement paint to act as a primer and level out any areas that weren’t stripped.
I mixed up a military green and brushed it on to the helmet. Finally, I mixed a nice fleshly red and base coated the gums and tongue.
I set the rubber cement base aside for later, and grabbed my Bloodline paints.

The first order of business was mottling. Thinned out colors, low PSI, gently airbrushed with a trembling hand. I lovingly refer to it as “crack hands” if that’s not PC, I apologize. The goal is to get random patterns, some folks like figure 8’s, some people compare it to doodling little worms. I just like to let my wrist go and tremble around.
First up was red, then brown. Later on, I did purple as well.
After mottling was done, I wanted to punch up the fleshtones a little. I used a very thinned out yellow and then a thinned out Vile Green to lightly sponge on to the high points. Using a clean sponge to gently blend back. This is similar to drybrushing, just a little more subtle and without directionality. I went over this layer with more red and some purple, and finally the flesh was done. The gums were straight forward. Some red and purple mottling, very fine red veins. The tongue got the same treatment but with some white and yellow fatty pads added to some high points.

The helmet was fun. I stippled a lighter green in areas, followed by a few rust tones and some spattering with a toothbrush and thinned paints. The exposed metal was done with Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics.

The eyes were basecoated a Tan color with Rubber cement paint. I airbrushed the pupils first, and then used brown to paint the iris. I gently filled in the remainder of the eye with Injury Ochre (yellow) before adding the veins with Blood Red. I used a super fine liner brush with white paint to make the eyes striations. I lightly misted it back with brown, and then repeated this a few times. On my last layer, I added just a hint of blue around the pupil. The eyes and mouth were glossed with 5 minute epoxy with a drop of purple tint (to prevent yellowing) and then the mask was finished!

Without further ado, here is the finished repaint of the Trick or Treat Studios WARMONGER!

FC8A4665-4B7D-4F00-8A84-8E1084F1AD88.jpegBE20190E-2F67-4480-B2E6-A7C6CB95AE3F.jpeg2EDB896A-4F2C-4CB7-8DCB-4A64146F1B4E.jpeg1DA41B45-D951-42D2-8B24-D2AAF3F2F779.jpeg029CF74A-DC75-459D-B98A-061761F2C2BE.jpegA0D85FF3-7D32-4259-8FB0-80E51FEF204C.jpeg

As always, apologies for not taking more photos. I really dropped the ball there. I hope there is some useful information in here for someone, and if there is anything you’re curious about, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks as always.
Jack

Excellent color palette here. there so much going on here, color wise. The dead greenish-yellow on the flesh streamers framing those darker, richer colors toward the center triangle of the face that draws your eyes right to those teeth in those bright red gums, which really make those teeth pop. Extremely good work here. Baker himself would be proud. Well done.

Excellent color palette here. there so much going on here, color wise. The dead greenish-yellow on the flesh streamers framing those darker, richer colors toward the center triangle of the face that draws your eyes right to those teeth in those bright red gums, which really make those teeth pop. Extremely good work here. Baker himself would be proud. Well done.

Hey, many thanks Buliwif, I really appreciate it!

I think I glossed the mouth just a little too heavily. If I do another I need to adjust that, but man.. it’s something to see at night! Those fangs and eyes just jump out at you. I’m super happy.

Many thanks for the comments folks! I appreciate it.

Killer job. Keep posting your paint jobs here; very inspirational.

Thanks toothboy. I try to get projects posted over here when I can but if you wanna check out more work follow me over on Instagram at Instagram.com/jackrupert133

I have a new piece I just finished that I’ll be posting up but I can’t until the client receives it. Hopefully soon though! It’s a fun one. :)

Jackson,

On your instagram page The Thing paintup is killer. I've been eyeing that one at Blackheart models for awhile. How did you insert the glass eye if yo don't mind me asking?

Jackson,

On your instagram page The Thing paintup is killer. I've been eyeing that one at Blackheart models for awhile. How did you insert the glass eye if yo don't mind me asking?

Thanks again. For the Thing, it was a closed rotocast piece. Thankfully it wasn’t foam filled. I carved a hole through the back large enough for my hand and secured the eye in place with Ave’s Apoxie sculpt. Any epoxy putty would work, I just like Ave’s.

It is a killer piece, totally worth the price. If I had the space I’d want one myself!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back