Hope Van Dyne Wasp Marvel (MCU) cosplay with working wings

TK-326

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Got this finished in time (actually DURING) DragonCon 2018. Quite pleased with the result.

Short video demonstration of hand made screen accurate Hope Van Dyne Wasp costume from Marvel (MCU) Ant Man and the Wasp movie with working mechanical wings. Recorded during DragonCon 2018, right after the giant MCU photo shoot behind the Hilton.

Full suit and boots drafted and sewed by my talented wife Leah D'Andrea-Lee. Costume is composed of over 100 separate pieces in multiple layers. Contains 9 different fabrics, some of which are laser cut and laser etched. As screen-accurate as we would get it.

Wings, harness, and blasters modeled, engineered, and fabricated by Chris Lee (me). Helmet was heavily modified from a model from another artist (original helmet model was purchased from a seller on Etsy). Wing pack has 4 individually controllable wings. Each wing is laser cut and etched from .06" clear PETG and has 2 servos, one for each axis of movement (8 servos total). Servos are in ServoCity heavy duty gearboxes and are controlled by a Pololu Maestro 12 channel microcontroller and powered by a 7.4V 5000mAh LiPo battery. Pushbutton controls with a dead-man switch are located on the left wrist blaster and wired into the pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so awesome! The costume looks incredible, but the working wings makes it so real. Such an amazing accomplishment! Incredible work.

Fantastic build! Dead man switch is a really good idea when using multi cell LiPo packs.

Also for when in a crowded convention situation like DragonCon (85000 people). Wanted to avoid the possibility of someone bumping into her arm and triggering the wings to open.

Would you please consider explaining/drawing and sharing a diagram of how the system is set up,backpack-to-wings wiring and servos ?
Many of us,myself included,are not technically inclined,but would love to understand the setup in order to make something similar.
Thank you so much,and congratulations on the success of your girlfriend's costume & photo shoot.Looks very cool and very​ professional.

Last edited:
Would you please consider explaining/drawing and sharing a diagram of how the system is set up,backpack-to-wings wiring and servos ?
Many of us,myself included,are not technically inclined,but would love to understand the setup in order to make something similar.
Thank you so much,and congratulations on the success of your girlfriend's costume & photo shoot.Looks very cool and very​ professional.

I plan on documenting the build here soon.

- - - Updated - - -

If you ever consider selling the wings and helmet please let me know

Probably won't be selling any time soon. There is a current run of helmets by another member, though: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=292475

- - - Updated - - -

An AMAZING costume, you both did a fantastic job on that.
Well done.

Thank you!

Very nice Chris,

Is this how you display the costume when not in use:

wasp costume.JPG

Hey all, sorry for the time away. Lots going on.

I'm in the process of reworking the wing pack for D23 Expo 2019 in August.

Trying a different mounting solution for the secondary axis servos that will reduce the overall footprint of the mechanics by about 30%. So maybe it will look a bit more screen-accurate now.

Details and photos coming soon.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back