NorthProds

Here it is, I have been waiting to make this thread for a long time. Mostly because I have had to wait for certain variations of the Saber to be released. This thread will cover the best Graflex Replicas from every movie variation. Hope you all enjoy:

So, we all know that the most iconic prop from the Star Wars movies is the lightsaber. More specifically, Luke Skywalker's lightsaber from the Original Trilogy (you know the one). The Graflex saber is one of the most sought after pieces of all time, and there has been many fans and people who have created replicas in order to come as close as possible to the original(s). There are also different variations of the saber from different movies and different movie scenes. The original one is from Star Wars (1977). This is the first lightsaber ever seen on screen, and is the first version of this prop. The saber was not machined or sculpted as a completely original piece, rather it was put together by already existing pieces and items. The base of it all was a vintage camera flash handle. The model of the camera was a Graflex. Once the base was found they knew they needed to add more parts and greeblies to make the thing look like it belonged in the Star Wars universe. So they then added T track cupboard panels to the bottom as grips. then they added a little bubble strip from a Texas Instruments Calculator into the clamp slot. Then there was a generic tool D-ring added to the bottom to clip to a belt. The whole thing looked complete, and thus the Graflex lightsaber was born. In the next movie (The Empire Strikes Back) they made a few changes to the hilt. They used the Graflex again obviously, but they added different details. There were screws in the grips now, and 6 grips instead of the previous 7. The also changed the D-Ring. Then they changed the clamp card from the bubble strip to a circuit strip. Lastly they changed the glass eye to the same thing that was on the back. There were minor changes to the hilt from scene to scene, but it stayed the Empire Strikes back version. So since we all have these nuts that want the most screen accurate prop possible (like me), there has been numerous companies and people trying to fit their needs. Here are the most accurate variations by each movie type, and each part: (I recommend you read the Graflex Variations: Facts VS Replica thread before this) (Also keep in mind that this is for the closest REPLICA, not using a vintage flash handle)

The Star Wars (1977) Variation:

Flashgun- Romans Props Graflex Flashgun

Clamp Card- Roman Props Graflex Bubble Strip

Grips- Gino Design T-Tracks

D-ring- Wannawanga ANH D-ring

The Empire Strikes Back:

Flashgun- Roman Props Graflex Flashgun

Clamp Card- Sloth Furnace Circuit Card ESB

Grips- Gino Design T-Tracks

D-Ring- Wannawanga ESB D-ring

Tape- TCS Aluminum Tape

There you have it. Those are the best parts to make the most accurate Graflex replica so far. Unless you buy actual vintage parts. Feel free to start discussion below!

Last edited:
For the accessories for both ANH and ESB, a lot of people swear by the parts sold by Roy Gilsing of Wannawanga. They are far more accurate than TCSS parts for sure: https://wannawanga.com/shop/

For the ANH bubble strip, aside from Roy's (which has been trimmed to slide into the clamp), you can also go for Rebelscum's: https://www.rebelscum.com/estore/products.asp?cat=176

For the grips, you're spoilt for choice between Roy's, GINO's (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=41387) and Todd's (http://www.toddscostumes.com/costume-supplies/star-wars-prop-builders-supplies/star-wars-prop-makers-t-strips/).

For the accessories for both ANH and ESB, a lot of people swear by the parts sold by Roy Gilsing of Wannawanga. They are far more accurate than TCSS parts for sure: https://wannawanga.com/shop/

For the ANH bubble strip, aside from Roy's (which has been trimmed to slide into the clamp), you can also go for Rebelscum's: https://www.rebelscum.com/estore/products.asp?cat=176

For the grips, you're spoilt for choice between Roy's, GINO's (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=41387) and Todd's (http://www.toddscostumes.com/costume-supplies/star-wars-prop-builders-supplies/star-wars-prop-makers-t-strips/).
The Parts from WannaWangas are almost identical to Romans, that goes for quality too. I only put Romans for those because you can get the parts already installed onto the flashgun itself. But, just to make it a bit more interesting I will change the parts up there :) Thanks for the input! (The parts on the list will change over time as this thread goes on, and new products come out.)

You have to remember that Roys bubble strip is the frosted variation. The bubble strip on the Luke ANH lightsaber was the clear variation. Romans i know has the clear bubble strip replica.

TGS gen2 guns are also very accurate. Though without having both in hand it would be hard to decide which is better.
Agreed. Though, through my research an inspection of high res photos, I have come to believe that Roman is the current best in terms of accuracy. TCS deserves a nod though.

5E9E0279-5860-4035-8135-1520D14B0E8D.png

I like shiny GRAFLEX flashes and accurate parts.

Last edited:
From what I've seen makes me very sure The Graflex Shop is more accurate. Have you seen the reviews in You Tube? They compare them side by side.

My question is are either the Romans or TGS flashguns FX/blade/chassis compatible?

When I get my ANH, I would like to have it sitting on my shelf, but available to take a neopixel blade sometime down the road and swap out as necessary.

I just wish that TGS had an option available to configure your flashgun with the necessary parts before they ship it your way, so in that regard Im currently LEANING towards Romans, but if a TGS with bubbles, T-Track, and D-ring from other vendors will be more accurate to the real stuff, I may have to shell out the extra cash and go that route instead, though I worry I will bungle the grips and D-ring install if I attempt it myself...

My question is are either the Romans or TGS flashguns FX/blade/chassis compatible?

When I get my ANH, I would like to have it sitting on my shelf, but available to take a neopixel blade sometime down the road and swap out as necessary.

I just wish that TGS had an option available to configure your flashgun with the necessary parts before they ship it your way, so in that regard Im currently LEANING towards Romans, but if a TGS with bubbles, T-Track, and D-ring from other vendors will be more accurate to the real stuff, I may have to shell out the extra cash and go that route instead, though I worry I will bungle the grips and D-ring install if I attempt it myself...

If you want to do an FX build at some point definitely go with a TGS gun. They've cleverly replaced the all the rivets with screws or e-clips. And they've done so, so it doesn't look any different from the outside. Also I suggest using a Solo's Holdo Graflex blade holder. It is by far the most accurate blade holder.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not jealous at all, no not jealous, nope, nope..........:D

If you want to do an FX build at some point definitely go with a TGS gun. They've cleverly replaced the all the rivets with screws or e-clips. And they've done so, so it doesn't look any different from the outside. Also I suggest using a Solo's Holdo Graflex blade holder. It is by far the most accurate blade holder.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not jealous at all, no not jealous, nope, nope..........:D

I sure am jealous!! it’s not mine it’s a clients of mine

And you would not believe how cheap he picked it up.. score of a life time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just all kinds of yummy :love

Once I get my v2 thread up to date, I’m doing a thread on this beauty. Been working on it for a few months here and there

All he needs is a vintage kobold, those are impossible to find it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back