Fallout, Vault-Tec Wall Clock (Not a exactly a prop)

zapwizard

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
44452335952_b0171180e6_c.jpg

As part of my Fallout themed home office, I decided I needed a Vault-Tec themed wall clock.

The Vault-Tec Logo has two concentric circles, making it a great shape for a wall clock.
I ordered this clock movement from Amazon, and waited a week for it to arrive so I could make a 3D model of the movement.

--------------------------------------------

42693407870_9bc238d958_c.jpg

Once I had the movement 3D modeled, that effectively determined the diameter of the clock.
The clock parts will be laser-cut from 5mm and 3mm plywood.
The hour indicator marks will be made from aluminum dome solid rivets, which I will polish to a shine.
The minute indicator marks will be made from 2mm steel dowels.

--------------------------------------------

(The clock in the image below is a 3D rendering)
42693407770_4deb03fb87_c.jpg

(The clock in the image above is a 3D rendering)

I took a photo of how my office sits currently. (Still a work in progress.)

In Keyshot I overlayed a rendering of the clock on the photo. This helped me determine the paint colors I would use. At first I thought I would do it in black and white, but then I decided black for the wings, blue for the circles, and yellow in the middle to make it match the wall color.

By making a rendering, I can see the near-final result without trial and error on the real deal. For example, I considered added small yellow numbers, but they wound up almost unreadable at a distance. I thought about using glow-in-the dark paint, but then I would lose the silver look of the indicators, and the brass look of the clock hands.

I plan on making it this weekend. I have all the hardware on hand, I just need to cut and paint the plywood.

Last edited:
44550997801_7e0614f09f_c.jpg

I laser cut the parts at work today. Everything but the smaller disk is cut form 5mm, the disk is cut from 3mm plywood.

One tip for laser-cutting parts that you want to fit tightly is to figure out the kerf of your laser. 0.003 in in this case. You offset the outline of the parts you want to fit tightly by that amount, and they will fit with zero gap.

-----------------------------------------

30680770698_e11ddc5f32_c.jpg

I did a test assembly of the clock parts, everything fits together perfectly. The two half-moon shapes at the left will be glued to the back of the center disk to prevent it from warping. The arms also have supports glued to their back to make sure they never warp.

-----------------------------------------

44550997111_7ceaac68fa_c.jpg

I have painted each of the parts. I am using leftover house paint from my office remodel. I found that using a foam brush helped get the greatest control over the amount of paint. I wanted the paint on the top only, and left the charred laser-cut edge raw.

42754085780_9f2876c468_c.jpg

With all the parts painted, I can get to work on the final assembly.

----------------------

For this part I made a video. (It takes me forever to edit these things, but I keep trying)
The song is "The Clock Song, but The Stardusters, 1941"

----------------------

44513777432_b465533298_c.jpg

For those who skip the video, I hammered the rivets and pins into place. They all fit tightly without any glue needed.

----------------------

42754085000_0bcd309f3d_c.jpg

(The clock in the image above is NOT a rendering this time)

The clock was then hung up on the wall. I am very happy with the end result. I was afraid the blue paint was too light while working on it, but once up on the wall, it matches the rest of the room perfectly. Thanks to the reflective nature of the silver indicators and brass hands, the clock is readable even in low light.

----------------------

44513776972_c0a72f5ca2_c.jpg

Here is a close-up of the patent art print. I selected it because it looks like a mushroom cloud at first glance, but is actually a patent for a missile silo.

It is printed on heavyweight paper, but the chalkboard effect is very convincing.
I bought it from a company here in Austin Tx.

----------------------

42754084620_3b34665f83_c.jpg

My small Fallout Collection so far.
From left to right:
-The prototype for my Functional Pip-Boy 3000 Mk IV. (Long-term WIP)
-My Vault-Tec Dosimeter project. (WIP)
-A pristine Vault-Tec lunchbox, which I plan on aging. (I don't get why they sell this thing with fake, clear-coated rust)
-One of GhostMinion's amazing Mini-Nukes. Which I still need to paint and assemble.

The wood sign is from a maker on Esty, but it didn't come with a dark blue background, or distressed. I guess I will have to work on it when I do the lunchbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can download the vector files for the laser-cut parts from here. The list of other parts needed is spread through the posts above.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back