T-1000 Terminator Hook / Claw

00fil00

Hi guys!

1st post here.

I've been collecting/making props for only a few months now but have really gotten into it with an Evernote wish-list of 60 famous 1:1 props from movies/tv I want to collect; having already collected/made a facehugger, Robocop's Auto-9, Harry Potter's wand, Doctor Who's Cyberman helmet, Wilson from Cast Away, and more etc. and already I have my first Detolf display case on order.

I thought a good not-too-hard prop to make for a novice would be the T-1000 shot-off claw tip from T2 judgement day. I thought about carving it from a block of EVA and spray painting/foil leaf but require some dimensions/scaling. I was wondering if anyone has one of the rare metal-cast ones that were made way back? Or know of any of the dimensions it should be?

Thanks guys!

Decided to go ahead and start this.

Took an image of the T-1000 hook online and put it onto my phone, then I lined up the longest flat edge of the hook with the edge of a bit of paper. With a ruler laid across my phone over the angles AND the paper, I drew them across onto the paper ..

Screenshot_20181001-223351.pngIMG_20181013_165055.jpg

Last edited:
Next, I laid the paper guide over a block of EVA foam I got on a famous auction website. Only 99p! Was marketed as a yoga foam block... No idea how it's meant to be used but it suits my purposes! I traced the outline onto the block with a mechanical pencil.

3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:
Getting my largest sharp kitchen knife helped with keeping the knife parallel to the ruler and allowed less hacking that a smaller knife would have caused. Still needed a smaller exacto to cut into the small angles.

5.jpg6.jpg

This is the current state I'm at. Sanded it down a little but it tends to just tear up little bumps. I gouged out the bottom to make it look snapped off and then melted the bottom with a flame to smooth it (as it was really torn up) a bit and harden it. Any advice on how to do the next step? Anyone got experience with EVA foam and achieving metallic looks like for armour? Would like to paint it alclad chrome but not sure how the foam would take it. Should I try burning all over to produce a hard shell then sand that smooth?

7.jpg

Last edited:
now isn't that something... I JUST made one for a client out of aluminum. It hasn't even shipped out yet, it's that recent.

As for sealing the EVA, have you tried epoxy? I don't think it reacts with EVA and it should cure rock-hard giving you a suitable surface to hit it with a chrome-type paint.

Wow that's crazy Teddz! Dammit I would have totally asked you if I'd known anyone did these. I'm already too far down my road and it will be cool to know I made it if it turns out OK. Just curious, how much would it have set be back to get your aluminium one?

Update: tried sealing it with polyfilla but wish I didn't as it's more like a gritty cement. Have now covered it in wood glue and I think that's working. We don't really get plastidip in the UK McFlyte, I'd have to have it imported.

Total disaster. Can't get the sides smooth and sanding ended up burning a hole in the side. EVA seems pretty hard to work with if you need straight lines and smooth surfaces. Might be buying one of your aluminium ones after all!

sorry to hear you're having issues with your claw. EVA is fun to work with but sometimes such a pain.

You may want to consider redoing it out of something harder, but still easy to work with like MDF. It'll also be easier to seal it and coat it so you can have a nice smooth finish on it.

The biggest pain with the aluminum claw was the polishing. It took many hours of sanding with various grits of paper, from 80 all the way to 800, then 3 different grades of polishing compounds. I only made 2 claws, one for my client and one for me. I'm in the process of polishing my claw now. This is the 400-grit stage. When I started with 400 grit I used water and then changed it up to 400grit and motor oil. The finish on it is nice enough that I can skip the 600 and go to the 800 grit. Tomorrow I'll polish it up with the polishing compounds and buffing wheels. It SHOULD come out mirror like when done.

31602382428_c7a8bee7ff_z.jpg

Just for future reference if you try this again with EVA, you can get Plastidip in the UK through both Amazon and eBay. Good luck with the build(y)

I have a cast of one of the original Timeless Collectibles replicas. Not sure the generation of the cast, but mine is notably smaller. Maybe 25% or more...

I have a ton of lead-antimony alloy from my hand casting of bullets and fishing weights. I might just try and make a steel mold and cast one of these in lead. It buffs out nice and shiney, and with a clear coat to seal it, it'll make a nice, heavy, display piece.

Thanks for the inspiration, I was wonder g what prop to do next.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back