Star Trek USS Constellation NCC-1017

DB537

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my recent build of a vintage 1960s AMT USS Enterprise model kit. I built it as the USS Constellation (without the damage) from 'The Doomsday Machine'. An early long box version of the kit just like this one was also used for the actual Constellation model in TOS, so this is studio scale to the original model from the episode.

I couldn't bring myself to attempt the battle damage because this is a 50+ year old model and it's somewhat hard to find now.

I tried to build it as well as I possibly could while still intentionally incorporating some of the same kind of flaws in the original model, which was just quickly built for the episode. I didn't add the impulse engine details, darker accent colors, or any of the window markings that I could identify which were omitted from the screen-used model.

It's 95% completed. I just need to finish painting the copper-ish colored rectangular grills on the pylons, and to clear coat it.
I'm also going to remove the decals before clear coating and replace with new ones afterward. This is just a test for the photos.

The windows and markings are from the file that Shaw posted on one of the other model building sites, with the exception of the name 'U.S.S. Constellation'. I created my own custom version of the name to more accurately match what was seen on screen in the original non-remastered version of the episode.

Constellation-1.pngConstellation-2.pngConstellation-3.pngConstellation-4.png

Last edited:
Going to attempt any wash to add shadow? I find it really pops out the details and helps convince the minds eye that you are not looking at painted plastic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Take a look at what Shaw has done. I always thought Constellation was a hybrid. Production nacelle caps--but do the vents on the second pilot out back

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back