ANH Han Solo belt greeblies

I would hesitate to mark this 'found'. I think the RES 22 is similar but there are a lot of discrepancies, the front prongs don't look right, the hole on the side is a hole, not a hole and cut-out, there's no writing on the end side and I think the size might be completely different.

When you look at them side by side the differences are clearer:

View attachment 842214View attachment 842213

phillbarron. We are the closest we've ever been to a found item in real life. There are 2 rear posts, nut and bolt, and blade terminals that orient to the side. That's extremely close to the actual prop. Not sure what you meant by "not a hole and cut out". And the writing could have been put by a decal. I not saying its exactly the item used - we are probably off in make and model (its probably a U.K. make). But its definitely the correct Type of device.

Just last week, I was checking car relays and ended up ordering a mini relay just because it had multiple blade terminals. I'd given up home of finding 1 device with all the stuff. We have the correct Type of device found in the real world. We may be off in Make and Model. But just like the "pump widget", the exact make and model is not available anymore - but people have "found" a modern equivalent and made modifications to make it work. I know you are still looking, but I consider this "found".

Jedar

Good work guys. I'm going to make some sleeves and decals for these and they'll do the job until a perfect match is found. :thumbsup

I've got one arriving this week. I'd caution against people buying them until we can compare it side by side with the known size of the belt or the sparklet cylinder.

Obviously it's your money and you can all do what you like with it! I'd just hate people to waste their cash on something that might be ludicrously wrong.

While visiting the Avonos booth at Celebration 7 in Anaheim (2015) I spoke with a salesman who showed me what he described was a relay from an F-16 aircraft.
It was a small white box which resembled the ANH belt tools they are now selling.
However, from what I remember there wasn't any text on the outside of it, but it was solid white.
He also gave me the model number for it and I remember searching for it on the internet, but it never came up.

So as far as I know, Avonos made the discovery and then created their replicas based on the originals....which were based on my replicas. :D

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add that the relay that he showed me had some sort of weight inside it that slid up and down depending on how you held the box.
I think he mentioned that it was a magnet.
So the idea is that if the plane is flipped upside down, the relay would "activate" something, possibly to keep the plane level.

I have a hard time believing this came from an F-16. It wasn't even approved for development until 1976. The first General Dynamics / Lockheed prototype took flight in 1974. Full production went into effect between late 76 through 78 for the first run of aircraft.

Its still likely to be an aircraft relay, but nothing as modern as an F-16. The internal magnet for inverted flight, however, may be accurate and something else to go on to identify the part.

While visiting the Avonos booth at Celebration 7 in Anaheim (2015) I spoke with a salesman who showed me what he described was a relay from an F-16 aircraft.
It was a small white box which resembled the ANH belt tools they are now selling.
However, from what I remember there wasn't any text on the outside of it, but it was solid white.
He also gave me the model number for it and I remember searching for it on the internet, but it never came up.

So as far as I know, Avonos made the discovery and then created their replicas based on the originals....which were based on my replicas. :D

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add that the relay that he showed me had some sort of weight inside it that slid up and down depending on how you held the box.
I think he mentioned that it was a magnet.
So the idea is that if the plane is flipped upside down, the relay would "activate" something, possibly to keep the plane level.

I have your replicas, they're great ... even if I did assemble them badly!

So are you saying they found a relay which matched your replicas and then copied that?

I don't suppose you still have the model number, do you? I know a couple of people in the USAF who might be able to help track them down.

I have your replicas, they're great ... even if I did assemble them badly!

So are you saying they found a relay which matched your replicas and then copied that?

I don't suppose you still have the model number, do you? I know a couple of people in the USAF who might be able to help track them down.

The post you referred to was by Corellianexports relaying a conversation he had with the salesman on the Avonos booth. It wasn't a statement from Avonos themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
The post you referred to was by @Corellianexports relaying a conversation he had with the salesman on the Avonos booth. It wasn't a statement from Avonos themselves.

Yeah, I get that. I was just trying to unpack this sentence:

I wasn't sure if it was a tongue in cheek "my replicas are so good the screen used ones in ANH were based on them!" or "Anovos looked at my (@Corellianexports') replicas and found a relay which looked similar and then made a replica based on that".

The meaning isn't clear to me.

So, the RES-22 turned up:

20180918_132401.jpg

It's a pretty little thing, there's just one problem:

20180918_132448.jpg

It's very little. Tiny, in fact. Here's a Lego minifig for context:

20180918_132612.jpg

So, all in all, probably not a good base to build a replica from!

Oh well, at least it fits in the belt pouch easily!

20180918_131855.jpg

Mine came the other day, too. I love what you did with yours!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Great work Kurtyboy!

s-l1600.jpg

I came across this relay which is from a Piper Aircraft. It's a far cry from a F-16, but the configuration is extremely close.

Well, I like them and I like them a lot. Phillbarron, thanks again for your detective work. PM incoming...
View attachment 844071View attachment 844072

Before and after:
View attachment 844073

Time to retire my trusty old CE ones (the pink staining came from the leather somehow). They served me well.
View attachment 844076View attachment 844075

Wow. I take it back, yours look awesome!

Thank god we have a consensus !!!

I'd got my 3 Russian Relays (RES-22 .05 / РЭС-22 .05) today !!! Checking with kurtyboy and phillbarron about the dimensions. Mine measured out to 1 1/8" width x 1 1/8" height x 11/16" depth. Does that match up with the ones you guys have? The relays might come in different sizes.

kurtyboy, it looks like you did a great paint job on the main body and underneath the terminals. And added a top cover, the side panels look about 1/4" in height, correct? Looks awesome !!! Hopefully I can get it looking like yours.

Jedar

Thank god we have a consensus !!!

I'd got my 3 Russian Relays (RES-22 .05 / РЭС-22 .05) today !!! Checking with kurtyboy and phillbarron about the dimensions. Mine measured out to 1 1/8" width x 1 1/8" height x 11/16" depth. Does that match up with the ones you guys have? The relays might come in different sizes.

kurtyboy, it looks like you did a great paint job on the main body and underneath the terminals. And added a top cover, the side panels look about 1/4" in height, correct? Looks awesome !!! Hopefully I can get it looking like yours.

Jedar

I make mine 29mm x 29mm x 17mm - no idea what that is in fractions of an inch! Trying to count the inch divisions makes me go cross-eyed.

I make mine 29mm x 29mm x 17mm - no idea what that is in fractions of an inch! Trying to count the inch divisions makes me go cross-eyed.

Sorry phillbarron, didn't realize you weren't from the colonies !!! (our units came from the Empire).

My measurements (1 1/8" width x 1 1/8" height x 11/16" depth) is very close to yours. They translate to 28.575 mm x 28.575 mm x 17.462 mm !! So I'm happy enough. I thought it was too small.

Conversion website https://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtchtfdm.htm

Thanks phillbarron (& kurtyboy)

Thanks! They could probably use one more pass of sanding and filling to smooth them out a bit more, but 90% of them will be covered by the pouches, anyway.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back