New Wampa Cave screengrab

I don't understand why, other than to fit our theories, they would need to make castings of the T-Track. I would think there was an abundance of it -- there was enough for several Lightsabers in ESB --at least two of which still exist, three if we can assume the Barbican saber is part of the list. There was t-track available to the prop dept on RotJ as well for Boba Fett's blaster and, presumably, the shared Graflex Stunt (although I expect you could make the case that they just re-used the t-track that was already on the grip from before they converted it).

Good point. I think I would believe the buildup of cutting if it was just the ends. The diameter is smaller and the entire length of the track seems to have no ridge

Yes... exactly.... . The width variances you're seeing on the profiles are just buildup from craptastic saw work and not cleaning of the burrs. Pretty sure they're not cast. There may be two different types, I'll have to look further into that to be sure.

Alley, they're SCREWS

I tend to agree on this, it looks a lot like buildup from sanding (belt sanders esp.) when plastic heats up, melts and starts to accumulate in globs.

They couldn't have imagined todays screen grab resolution abilities to pick out these details.

Great archival still for us to add to the pile. TFS.

Just did a quick bit of iPhone photo tinkering and to me, I definitely see two different types of grips.

Personally I don’t think that buildup is to blame with this. The build up that occurs is never strong, and would have probably broken off with some light handling. Another thing is that the prop department weren’t armatures or idiots. Okay quick fixes and a ‘we’ll use what’s lying around’ attitude was employed but I don’t believe someone drawing through or sanding would have left all the plastic buildup on there. What would be the point of sanding it just to leave it in a worse state!

Just my two cents

Attachments

• 47567FF4-7C60-4FBB-9C4A-3DBAA7F216D9.jpeg
    47567FF4-7C60-4FBB-9C4A-3DBAA7F216D9.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 236
Also, we have to remember this saber was actually a stunt saber, not a belt hanger. So there was an extra level of not giving a crap to it.

Also, we have to remember this saber was actually a stunt saber, not a belt hanger. So there was an extra level of not giving a crap to it.

I thought this saber was the stunt with the beer tab and single knurled red button..

And if so, I thought that was seen as a belt hanger in that 1 picture on dagobah...?

Gonna have to double check that guys digital saber book... what was his name again?

Sammy? Sally? Samsonite!! That’s it! I was way off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We know of one that had the bunny ears removed by the time they filmed the ESB duel

one that had the bulb ring cut on the glass eye side

one that had screws in the clamp area and probably had gaffer tape around the clamp

I thought this saber was the stunt with the beer tab and single knurled red button..

And if so, I thought that was seen as a belt hanger in that 1 picture on dagobah...?

Gonna have to double check that guys digital saber book... what was his name again?

Sammy? Sally? Samsonite!! That’s it! I was way off!

HA!

In the wampa cave it's a short bladed stunt, one for swinging at the Wampa, two cause there was a dude holding the blade to make it wiggle. The upper haldf does have a beer tab, and the lower half is used with a different upper for one of the Dagobah belt-hangers. :)

Do we know this was never on a belt?
Because that's the most compelling reason, IMO, for shallower t-tracks in that location. They won't dig into Mark's leg, and it will hang flatter.

Do we know this was never on a belt?
Because that's the most compelling reason, IMO, for shallower t-tracks in that location. They won't dig into Mark's leg, and it will hang flatter.

We don’t know for sure if it was ever a belt hanger, but there are photos where you can see when Luke is using the force to move the saber it’s a stagehand moving/pushing the attached stunt blade on the saber in the snow and we also have photos of Mark holding/using the bladed stunt (to swing at the Wampa). Based on this evidence, plus the different grips, most people agree that the lightsaber seen in the snow is the bladed stunt (especially the way to moves back and forth so quickly in the snow, easy with a blade, harder without).

There were pick-up second unit shots such as the shot of Luke’s feet frozen in the snow (not Mark in costume BTW) and there is a shot of a non-bladed saber when it flies to Luke’s hand (saber is thrown, film is played backwards) and I don’t know if we know what saber that one was.

The shallow T track reminds me of that old Christies auction stunt. Not sure if its the same as the one being held by Hamill in that pic.

sabers1-vi.jpgflex1-vi.jpg11.jpg

We don’t know for sure if it was ever a belt hanger, but there are photos where you can see when Luke is using the force to move the saber it’s a stagehand moving/pushing the attached stunt blade on the saber in the snow and we also have photos of Mark holding/using the bladed stunt (to swing at the Wampa). Based on this evidence, plus the different grips, most people agree that the lightsaber seen in the snow is the bladed stunt (especially the way to moves back and forth so quickly in the snow, easy with a blade, harder without).

There were pick-up second unit shots such as the shot of Luke’s feet frozen in the snow (not Mark in costume BTW) and there is a shot of a non-bladed saber when it flies to Luke’s hand (saber is thrown, film is played backwards) and I don’t know if we know what saber that one was.

I’m pretty sure the lower half is the same as the Dagobah saber/Ranch saber lower half. halliwax did a great comparison in a thread I can’t find now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m pretty sure the lower half is the same as the Dagobah saber/Ranch saber lower half. @halliwax did a great comparison in a thread I can’t find now.

Seth I think we can rule my theory out. Wampa cave is a folmer New York non patent

The Lower tube in the ranch/ archives right now I THINK is a folmer New York patent

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back