Plastic to acrylic - Hot glue didn't work

joeranger

Sr Member
I tried to use hot glue on my diver helmet but it peeled off. I am sure the plastic epoxy will work but it's expensive and time consuming.
Any other suggestions? Bathroom caulk? Construction adhesive? Higher temp glue?

It can be a little messy since I want it to look welded.

glue.jpg

So you need it to be strong, but dry pretty solid AND something you can apply in a way that looks like weld beeding? I'd suggest Liquid Nails, but the last time I used that stuff, it seemed they had changed their formula and wasn't as great as it used to be.

I use JB Weld Plastic Bonder. It is a two part epoxy like material. You can sculpt it a little as it hardens or you can get the mixing tip and apply it as a "bead".

I used JB Weld 2 part epoxy. DSB, Liquid nails was going to be a last resort.
On a side note. the JB weld was a little difficult. The 2 parts didn't want to flow at the same rate out of the tube so it was hard to measure equal parts. I called JB and they are shipping a new tube.
It did work well, but took longer to set.

Yeah. Sometimes I waste a little to get the two parts to flow at the same rate. Start a little puddle and then move to the final bit I will use in another puddle.

Another option you might have tried is E6000 adhesive. I've used that for components that needed a stronger bond than hot glue will provide or for materials that hot glue typically doesn't adhere to well. It's basically the same consistency as hot glue but isn't hot and takes longer to dry. Amazon link: http://a.co/d/cF9Icc9

Last edited by a moderator:
My new favorite go to glue is the water activated Gorilla glue. E6000 is always good, but it plays second fiddle to Gorilla.

My new favorite go to glue is the water activated Gorilla glue. E6000 is always good, but it plays second fiddle to Gorilla.

The glue you are referencing is polyurethane glue and it is definitely bad ass and strong. The only word of caution about this type of glue is that it expands when activated and also is not clear or considered flexible. E6000 is definitely a great option as well but since it sounds like you are gluing up plastic i really suggest you read this model glue guide. I refer back to it often when gluing up props to make sure Im using the best glue for the job.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back