greeblies for guns

Travis McGee

I'm looking for places I can find some greeblies like from scrap parts for a kit or what have you. I'm also looking for 3D printable bits and bobs. Thank you for any help

What you are looking for more specifically? Any specific franchise? Replicas or custom that fits into a theme? If custom, what theme? Sci-fi, realistic, civil-war era, steam-punk or something else?

For custom sci-fi or steampunk, you could use just about anything. Bits and bobs from old electronics can fit well: knobs, buttons, inside of panels, speaker grilles. Those things I mentioned turned up everywhere in Star Wars for instance, and not just on guns.

What you are looking for more specifically? Any specific franchise? Replicas or custom that fits into a theme? If custom, what theme? Sci-fi, realistic, civil-war era, steam-punk or something else?

For custom sci-fi or steampunk, you could use just about anything. Bits and bobs from old electronics can fit well: knobs, buttons, inside of panels, speaker grilles. Those things I mentioned turned up everywhere in Star Wars for instance, and not just on guns.

I'm looking for custom sci-fi and dieselpunk stuff. As well as 3D printer artists for some artist interpretation. Sadly it's really hard for me to explain what I want for the parts since I don't have anything to go off of.

I pick stuff up every were. off the ground walking. odd waist stuff from work. every were I see something that could be used for a prop weapon. if I saved everything I have picked up.I Would be over run by It. just takes a little Imagination. good luck with you quest...:thumbsup

I go to thrift stores and go through toys I could use parts from. Don’t forget you can paint just about anything to look like metal parts if that’s the look you’re going for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pick stuff up every were. off the ground walking. odd waist stuff from work. every were I see something that could be used for a prop weapon. if I saved everything I have picked up.I Would be over run by It. just takes a little Imagination. good luck with you quest...:thumbsup

Sounds like you have the same medical condition I suffer from, greeblitis. The compulsive disorder that results in seeing a prop greeblie in everything, and then hoard it in totes for years until you either forget about it, or find the perfect prop on which to stick it.

OP, half the fun I have in prop building is adding greeblies. Whether it's knobs and switches, heatsinks or LED circuits, greeblies are all about an altered perspective. My wife has none, and looks at me oddly when I find something she'd consider trash.

Sounds like you have the same medical condition I suffer from, greeblitis. The compulsive disorder that results in seeing a prop greeblie in everything, and then hoard it in totes for years until you either forget about it, or find the perfect prop on which to stick it.

OP, half the fun I have in prop building is adding greeblies. Whether it's knobs and switches, heatsinks or LED circuits, greeblies are all about an altered perspective. My wife has none, and looks at me oddly when I find something she'd consider trash.

Yep. Sounds like we have the same illness. Lol my problem Is I get rid of stuff. And a month or so find something I could have used It for.

https://www.thingiverse.com

Right at the top of the page, type in greeblies. You should find many free downloads for printable bits and bobs.

Generally for me, greeblies are something I collect over time, and then when needed, I go to my box of parts and mix and match until I get something I like.

If your town has a clean up week where everyone puts their junk on the curb, that is pure bounty. A couple junk vacuum cleaners and VCRs and you'll be set. Otherwise, like everyone else said, flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales, toys, etc.

I'll end up with a new sewing machine by the end of the year, so my old one will get dissected for greeblies. Vacuum cleaners are good for all sorts of stuff, greeblie wise, and as long as the motor works, can be used for a vacuform chamber build.

how contagious is greeblitis because I need it. Sadly I don't have that altered perception or I can't access it

I think it might be a genetic, hereditary disorder.

I wish I could explain how I look at things and see their greeblic potential, I just can't put it into words.
As a kid, I was always taking things apart to see how they worked. Guess it shouldn't be a surprise that I became an industrial machine mechanic.

Seeing the guts of a machine or tool or whatever, you get to view it as individual components, not just the end sum of parts. Some of those individual parts are really strange looking, and only serve that one singular purpose. But I can somehow just look at an odd industrial component, and see it as something else. For example, the light saber I'm building, I just got a bronze bushing and it fit perfectly over the handle, so now it's working in place of a Graflex clamp. Stick a greeblie on it, not exactly sure what just yet, and I've got my activation switch.

Another example, I broke my 90 degree pneumatic die grinder. Instead of throwing it out, I dismantled the thing, and now have a handful of greeblies and an alternative droid caller. The body was about the size and shape of the old Kobold flash tubes, so with some paint, it's just about finished.

A good place to look is your local hardware store, browse the plumbing and electrical departments and you'll find all sorts of things that you can use. I also highly recommend taking any broken mechanical or electrical/electronic item in your house apart before disposing of it. I've had both a small broken fan and piece of the toilet flushing mechanism and I took both apart before tossing them in the trash. So, before you throw anything away, see if you can't tear it apart first for greeblies.

I acquired another cool greeblie last night. I had an old electric drill that I've not used in years, sitting in the back of my toolbox. I was never going to use it again, but the motor is fine. The rear shell of the casing resembles the microphone mouthpiece of the 2-1B medical droid from The Empire Strikes Back. So after gutting the drill for the motor, I plan on using that piece for a droid build or custom sci-fantasy helmet.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back