4 LOM

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So this guy has been on my list for a wee while now, so i thought I'd fit him in, in between jobs...u gotta go with the flow

There are very few actual reference pix of the screen used head and the sideshow model and others always give him fly eyes, which is not accurate.

Here is the best screen shot I found;
droid head.jpg

What I think they've done is used a vac-formed egg shape and filled it with broken glass to get the inner translucent effect and then painted a gold pattern over the top. So that's what I did...

First I printed the head in 2 pieces

Ck8evuul.jpg
LItBR8zl.jpg

I modelled and printed the breather/face hardware separately and turned the metalwork on a lathe
9CMCydEl.jpg

u8Etqehl.jpg
DRaRGoll.jpg

I also put some lights inside to illuminate the eyes just for ****s and giggles, even though I don't think they did in ESB

T6RN0tAl.jpg
I will be doing the rest of him at some point, although he mostly has Threepio's body

droid head.jpg

Hi Geek1128
That is a very interesting copy that you have done with more texture than the original, I like it

Just for your information the picture of 4LOM head is one of my photos, taken in the Archives building, when I was at Lukas Film.

The prop was a fibreglass shell that had all its detail added with auto body filler. The eyes were a perspex shell with shattered glass applied to the outside and the "gold" is something wiped into the gaps like a brick layers mortar. The rear of the helmet is an almost flat panel and is a removable to let the actors head in. Vision for the actor was out the "plastic cap nose", there is a couple of alloy studs that screw on to hold the back panel in place and the colour was a metallic blue. And you are correct that his body is a modified 3PO suit.

Great job

geek 128 , This is an amazing build , thanks for sharing and please post updates and more photos.
Gary, great input ! Any more stories to tell ?

OK small update but quite a lot of work. Focused on 4-Lom's body now. Basically I've cleaned up the recent Don Post 3PO scans and printed the whole lot. The chest is obviously different as are some of the greeblies I think, but I'm probably gonna do a full Threepio statue anyway so...

AWxQdPVl.jpg

OK Lomwards...

Decided to use steel poles as an armature because his head is quite heavy with all the glass in his eyes. Back filled with PU foam to make it all solid

ycFUFonl.jpg
8f2p0Cil.jpg

Resin printed the greeblies

A15Xb3Jl.jpg

T7Yr32Zl.jpg
6akFXAol.jpg

Modelled the new torso and had a quick test fitting

HjYPZmnl.jpg

Already got the rifle done so there's really just some tweaks and the paint job to go

And so it was done...4-Lom is finished

Got the belly wires done using black ribbed rubber matting and aluminium armature wire

The DLT-19 I'd made from scratch on a previous build

The paint job is mostly matt black with acrylic brown washes

He's got a nasty, aggressive, insecty vibe going on, but I've come to love him

U7pMfiql.jpg
tCqW81rl.jpg

YKuG74Nl.jpg
cN9swXol.jpg

YFCeecjl.jpg
QCx3gmsl.jpg

This is so beautiful , i have a zuckuss and bossk n fett costumes on mannequins and would love a static 4-lom to go with em. Great job on this, im a bounty hunter fan and love what you have done here! Any chance you could share the breather canister file or even helmet file ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back