I need expert advice on mold making and resin casts

Volksfrei

Hi everyone,

I'd like to try my hand at resin casts. I've never made a mold before, but I've seen those blue silicon mold kits. I think they require mixing A+B parts or something of that nature, but I'm not entirely sure. Would you mind sharing required materials, advice, suggestions and methods for creating molds to make resin copies of small items? Also, can you cast the final piece in black?

Thanks in advance!
John

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah, it's definitely intimidating when you don't know where to start. But I think I got this. Thanks everyone!

one good start will be smotth on, mold max 30 or maybe 25!, i use them for all my molds, later you can experiment on less usage of silicon as you learn the curves and shapes of some pieces, and for resins, most of them are easy to dye, i use poliester resin for fiberglass, it´s a shampoo like texture and the catalyzer it´s a by using 2% of a droppper bottle, and you can use ANY oil based paint to dye it, you can make cast from every color by just adding the oil paint, like the one you use on your doors or metal tubes in your backyard. for the molds i will allways sugest silicons with color changing catalyzers since some brands use a transparent castalyzer and will be a bit harder to realize if it´s all mixed in well.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back