Bandai 1/72 scale B wing Starfighter Special Edition WIP

Thanks! regarding the decals they glue just fine over the plastic. No special measures at all. The fitment of these Bandai models is so good you will not need any gap filling. Have you ever build one of these Bandai models? You will be surprised!

Agreed. Every single Bandai ship kit I have built since they got the license has incredible tolerances that make the usual need for gap filling and alignments totally unnecessary. The ONLY additions I have had to make to a Bandai kit have been extra cockpit details such as pipes, hoses and window closure handles not created for the existing kits.

Great Job as usual SJ!!

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to give it a try. Consider yourself inspirational.

I've got some Y wings in the process of building and the Bandai kits are very impressive. I haven't finished anything yet though. I was well in the model zone when summer hit and I've barely touched one for 4 months, but the bug is coming back now. Seeing your work sure didn't hurt.

Cheers,

K>

I've really enjoyed watching this come together and you have me tempted to try a build up on plastic with no paint myself.

I'm also still trying to convince myself to this. It will surely save me a lot of paint. And Scarecrow works on his B-Wing surely making me more convince to do so. Great work Scarecrow.

Scarecrow just to recap on the painting process.

1. Apply decals directly on plastic.
2. Apply wash (what wash did you use? Tamiya?).
3. Apply Acrylic matte clear coat.
4. Apply weathering using Tamiya weathering master.
5. Then surely you will apply the final matte clear coat again. Using Vallejo Acrylic or Polyurethane matte coat?

Is Vallejo Polyurethane a much better choice for your final coat? Since the Polyurethane is more durable and it might adhere better since its already coated with Vallejo acrylic matte coat. What do you think?

Last edited:
That's more or less the process. Be careful with washes and decals. Wait for decals to be fully dried and cured and work carefully around them If unsure do wash first then decals. In this case the decals were so small that working around them is easy. Also the poly Vallejo clear don't like Bandai plastic but it may work after acrylic has been laid down. Haven't tried it myself.

Last edited:
Agreed. Every single Bandai ship kit I have built since they got the license has incredible tolerances that make the usual need for gap filling and alignments totally unnecessary. The ONLY additions I have had to make to a Bandai kit have been extra cockpit details such as pipes, hoses and window closure handles not created for the existing kits.

Great Job as usual SJ!!

Thanks!

Quick images of the model and finished base. Will try to get an official photoshoot soon.

44091480564_195699f3dd_k.jpg
269A1564 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

44762076642_77d11beac0_k.jpg
269A1559 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Amazing!
Was gonna save mine for winter but following this build is making my fingers twitch. Granted I know when I hold my finished attempt against pics of yours It'll look like a "Nailed it" pic from Pinterest

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back