Searching for Wand wood (Harry Potter inspired replica)

Ok update time my fellows, first though is it possible to get the topic title changed? I'm not really only concerend with Wand Wood suppliers as I have found a few I can purchase and they as Grigori said four weeks ago (Wow seems like I only just started chatting up the prop maker community yesterday. Now I've a respectful restraining order for being dumb, a great friend who is gonna be working on other projects and more, just doesn't feel like a month and a week.) it is just wood and while trees are lifeforms they do not have any properties that make them harmful to your spirituality as simple sticks. Heck even once carved not a ounce of magic is in these props as I'm making the cores from Mundane or household materials.

That is a great segue (Colin Mockery everyone) as I wish to talk on my very first experiment in making a Dragon Heartstring Core. The key item I'm using to craft this bit of mystical sinew is one you will most likely call me nuts on using, but I got it in large quantitys and I ain't wasting it when it can still be of use. The material in question is of course something any college student will know the flavor of but it's not just a cheep student food, I speak of none other than Maruchan Ramen in this case Chicken flavor.

Now why am I not eating it you ask, well I made the mistake of asking for some just before I had tooth removal surgery. They warned away from certain foods, I made the mistake of misunderstanding on one of the items I could eat which was the Ramen here I thought they had said no noodles but the next visit taught me otherwise. By the time I craved the flavor (I find Chicken soups of any sort comfort foods. Especially Chicken and Dumplings.) I saw they were past their eat by date and I know as a friend of mine told me they could still be safe to eat, but I am one of those who well I don't chance food no matter how well it is preserved. (Minus vacuum and salt packing. On that note as it made me think of something, Amortal life like Virals are weird, just so everyone knows Amortal is a thing that is nither alive or dead yet it exists Dementors in HP are such things but that's fictional AFAIK the only Amortal IRL is a Virus.)

Hope this isn't rambling like my old Icon post may truncate after I finish just to be safe. Anyway since I can't bring myself to eat it, I don't want money spent on it to be wasted and I need something that can look like a piece of a giant fire breathing (Such a misnomer in my honest opinion) reptilian's muscle fibers after it has been removed. Hmm yes I think you can all see my logic, Unless like last time I again BSODed you. Anyway I want to make the strings look like they have been inside a real living thing but have been dried, to me that means that it should look brown in color as blood when dried looks brown or sort of crimson.

So I got out a torch and grate to make a sort of mini stove (at the moment I am not willing to use the kitchen one, needs to be cleaned so I don't cause a grease fire), grabed a can for the container and made a little concoction from a bit of flat soda and two glues (Elmer's white and wood, speaking of anyone know if Gorilla brand Wood glue is better in terms of holding power? Most wood workers I watch on Youtube seem to swear by it so if you know let me know please.) poured this into the can, added the ramen and started to cook the small chunk.

I was hoping that more of the brown of the cola would be absorbed by the noodles, sadly very little color change at all, The glue though made it sticky and pliable. I then wrapped it around a piece of Popsicle stick I'd cut back, first on one side then I took another wrapped it around the other side and made a helix. At the point where two ends met I squished them together trying to make it as if it had been a single heartstring.

I waited for it to dry and it looked ok to me at first glance but upon examining it a bit closer (and during daylight hours, Why do they build hotel rooms, Apartment bedrooms and such with no overhead light in the center of the ceiling?! All rooms need a central light fixture!) I noticed a couple small problems. First off it came out a whee bit thinner than I'd of enjoyed and my ratios on the glue were off as it was very brittle. So back to the drawing board for that core.

Luckily of the three mainstay cores from Harry Potter Dragon Heartstrings are the one thing that is time consuming in of itself, I have a dog and he has long hair a little dye and I got Unicorn hair which in my interpretation is not a single hair but a small twisted bunch. Phoenix Feathers likewise can be made from any feather which for crafting there are bulk packs available and all I need then is red liquid ink, which I am making some of my own so thats covered.

For my next try I may use simply just food coloring and change my "bath" to only be a water and woodglue mix, maybe add a tiny bit of pine tar to see if that will deepen the color. Also question to you all should there be a slight glitter in the heartstring? Based off the fact that Unicorn blood is Silver and looks like Mercury, perhaps the dragon's blood has some sort of metallic look to it too maybe a small bit of gold pigment dust dabbed on in spots?

Anyway I hope that this made logical sense, again I know I can ramble into well chaotic tangents but this time I talked about methodology of making something and I think it stayed focused, also again can anyone help me fix the title since this no longer is sourcing wood alone.

Thank you and take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back