13th Doctor Sonic??

Here are a few pics. I took it apart and painted it black inside to block the light leaks. I sanded the wood grain off if the body and tried to give it a pitted look. I repainted the outside black to further block light leaks. Then I repainted it in steel as I did not want silver/aluminum. After I painted it and it dried for a day, I took five drops of paint cleaner, dipped the tip of my brush in black and mixed that with the cleaner, then the tip of the brush in steel and mixed it all together. I then used that as a “wash” over the top of it to give it a handled/aged sort of black wash. I was able to get rid of 5 of the 6 screw holes in it. Had to leave the battery access alone. Happier with it now. May get another one to take apart and recast in pewter.

The annoying thing with that battery screw is if they had it on the other side thats where that nut is on the real prop...disguising the battery compartment there.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 9.10.33 AM.png

I've not obsessed over this sonic as much as I have past models, but true to form, as soon as I saw the episode,I NEEDED one.

So to see if what I'm seeing is correct, the European Character Options toy has the correct texture, but wrong size & no moving crystal. The US based SE7EN toy is closer to the right size & has the moving parts, but has the weird woodgrain texture.

Based on the episode, the sonic should look like it has a central body ring made from a (in universe) found part, with crystal extending both forward & backward from the ring. Then the crystal is covered/protected by metal that has been forged/cast from spoons.

Are my assessments correct to anyone else's eyes?

I would say that pretty much sums it up. I too now want one of these and most likely will go with the SE7EN version even though it has the wood grain on it. Even though I would love to get it I could not afford the Rubbertoe one.

It does seem absolutely ridiculous to me that the The Doctor MELTED a bin ful of silver spoons to make the body, yet somehow, on the tail end of the sonic, the Sheffield branding not only DID NOT melt, but somehow stayed perfectly in tact on it!

It does seem absolutely ridiculous to me that the The Doctor MELTED a bin ful of silver spoons to make the body, yet somehow, on the tail end of the sonic, the Sheffield branding not only DID NOT melt, but somehow stayed perfectly in tact on it!
I'd agree, but unless that becomes a plot point, I take that as more of a BTS Easter egg, like Mace Windu's saber having BMF engraved into it.

Hay kids all you need to make a sonic screwdriver is some spoons, an arduino mini looking thing, and a alien space crystal. Who knew? I have mixed feelings about this one tbh... It's interesting but I prefer the matt Smith and David Tennant ones.

Hay kids all you need to make a sonic screwdriver is some spoons, an arduino mini looking thing, and a alien space crystal. Who knew? I have mixed feelings about this one tbh... It's interesting but I prefer the matt Smith and David Tennant ones.

I prefer Matt Smith, period.

Rubbertoe has their replica up for pre-order along with an extensive gallery documenting the design and construction of the hero props! Awesome shots of the hero guts too.

https://www.rubbertoereplicas.com/13th-sonic-screwdriver

Click the photo with concept art to open up the gallery and captions. The hero props do have grip rotation and a motorized spinning crystal.

I just wish I did not dislike the design so much (That being said my son likes this one better than any of the other ones). After reading the process that went into making the thing I will likely have to order one to keep the Rubbertoe Sonic collection complete :facepalm.

On a different topic, if the crystal is alien tec that the Doctor used in a pinch to build the Sonic then why is the whole new Tardis console room covered in them. And why are the sides of the Police Box on the way into the control room?????

TConsole.jpg

Sorry, I just think of this whenever I see that Sonic :lol

stsonic.jpgtos-thedoomsdaymachine29.jpg

stsonic.jpg

tos-thedoomsdaymachine29.jpg

TConsole.jpg

Last edited:
I just had a feeling from when we first saw the sonic that the control room was going to be something similar and I really didn't mind until I saw she made the sonic herself when with the last couple of doctors the Tardis made the sonics. My take on it is that maybe the Tardis modeled itself on what she made but unless someone can ask the Tardis we will probably never know.

Mike - I was wondering if you were going to get the new one. Even though this one is starting to grow on me I'm probably just going to get the toy as I really don't want to spend over $1000 on another soinc at this time.

On a different topic, if the crystal is alien tec that the Doctor used in a pinch to build the Sonic then why is the whole new Tardis console room covered in them.

When i saw the new desktop theme, I thought the same, but I believe there enough evidence in the show to say there's a strong enough psychic connection between the Doctor & the TARDIS, that it bases it's new designs on something the current regeneration will like. That why when other Doctors see the current Doctor's control room, they always say that they don't like it.

In my personal head canon, the TARDIS didn't finalize it's design until it materialised & reconnected with her.

I think I will make my own from cast pewter like the original as seen in the special for episode 1. Still have a big lot of Mold max 60 and some pewter bars around I need to use. Warmed up the monster clay.....

I've purchased a Seven20 version which had reasonable charges given that im the UK. My concern is that it was reasonable enough to question if I might end up being sent a CO version instead (£20.99 plus £8 postage). I've grabbed a copy of their site just to be sure!

My plan is to customise it as others have by smoothing out some of the wood grain effect and repainting the steel.

It arrived in 2 days, and it was the Seven20 version. So not bad even with import tax. I've already started to sand down the grain.

Having seen the CO version in the shops and now having the Seven20 version - I would definitely stick with the Seven20. It's just feels more like a prop replica rather than a toy.

So here is a part sanded version:

20181026_000340.jpg

And here is the full sanded, filled and primed version, with the handle painted up:

20181026_221611.jpg

I decided not to use spray paint, and instead opted for a air-fix kit enamel silver paint. It's got a lovely "melted metal" feel to it as it's not 100% uniform and only a small amount of reflective properties. Can't wait to finish painting this as it's come out better than i hoped.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back