13th Doctor Sonic??

Later on, we found out that the Doctor makes this herself, so it probably bears no relation to the interior design.

I've read that there are leaked photos of the interior online, but the reactions don't indicate that it's likely to be as cool as I imagine.
Per your spoiler:
it was 1 leaked image of the set without any of the studio lighting, or whatever lights/etc will be going on around the console. So it was hardly seen at its best.

It's not immediately obvious given the previous US and UK versions of the Doctor Who toys were identical, but Character Options and Seven20 (formerly Underground Toys) have released two very different toy sonic screwdrivers.

Here's a side-by-side look, with the CO (UK) version at left, and the Seven20 (US/Hot Topic) version at right. Click for bigger:

42607195640_4c4fde6377_b.jpg
13th Doctor sonic screwdrivers - CO vs Seven20

Note that the Seven20 version is smaller and includes the striated look that you get from 3D printed plastic. There's not enough reference on the show prop to say for sure, but I'm leaning towards this being less correct based on the trailer and the photo that Robatto posted showing three sonics in their storage box. The CO has a pitted, cast white metal look that seems closer to the available reference.

29478601917_8b842e3f01_b.jpg

The Seven20 has sharper detail and more complete light ports (such as one on the underside which continues across the seam between body halves), which initially led me to think it was more accurate given the unique detail and much less symmetrical design to the light ports. However, based solely on the reference released so far, the pattern of light ports is more accurate on the CO version, which has a near mirror image on the left and right sides of the main body of the sonic (a detail supported by the iMac photo, the storage case photo, and the trailer). Geometry of the casing around the grip pivot and an additional scoop in the body immediately below the emitter is more accurate on the CO as well.

When it comes to features, the Seven20 knocks the CO right out of the water. The lights are much brighter, the rear grip has a 180 degree pivot, and best of all the emitter crystal spins when the lower button is pressed. Conversely the CO has dimmer lights, no grip rotation, no crystal rotation, and only one functional button, though the CO does have a unique "automatic on" function that is meant to illuminate the internal glow when picked up (it is very inconsistent). Both have the same two sounds at about the same volume, though the CO has a fun hidden third sound that is accessed by pressing the button three times (it's the morse-code type sound that was present in some previous CO sonic toys and accessed in a similar way).

Here's a final picture showing how they compare to some other replicas:

43698516144_9be0726af2_b.jpg

It almost looks like the Seven20 has wood graining in it. It makes you wonder if it was based off of a prototype or drawing that was later rejected.

It's not immediately obvious given the previous US and UK versions of the Doctor Who toys were identical, but Character Options and Seven20 (formerly Underground Toys) have released two very different toy sonic screwdrivers.

Here's a side-by-side look, with the CO (UK) version at left, and the Seven20 (US/Hot Topic) version at right. Click for bigger:

[url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1883/42607195640_4c4fde6377_b.jpg[/URL]13th Doctor sonic screwdrivers - CO vs Seven20

Note that the Seven20 version is smaller and includes the striated look that you get from 3D printed plastic. There's not enough reference on the show prop to say for sure, but I'm leaning towards this being less correct based on the trailer and the photo that Robatto posted showing three sonics in their storage box. The CO has a pitted, cast white metal look that seems closer to the available reference.

[url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1843/29478601917_8b842e3f01_b.jpg[/URL]13th Doctor sonic screwdrivers - CO vs Seven20

The Seven20 has sharper detail and more complete light ports (such as one on the underside which continues across the seam between body halves), which initially led me to think it was more accurate given the unique detail and much less symmetrical design to the light ports. However, based solely on the reference released so far, the pattern of light ports is more accurate on the CO version, which has a near mirror image on the left and right sides of the main body of the sonic (a detail supported by the iMac photo, the storage case photo, and the trailer). Geometry of the casing around the grip pivot and an additional scoop in the body immediately below the emitter is more accurate on the CO as well.

When it comes to features, the Seven20 knocks the CO right out of the water. The lights are much brighter, the rear grip has a 180 degree pivot, and best of all the emitter crystal spins when the lower button is pressed. Conversely the CO has dimmer lights, no grip rotation, no crystal rotation, and only one functional button, though the CO does have a unique "automatic on" function that is meant to illuminate the internal glow when picked up (it is very inconsistent). Both have the same two sounds at about the same volume, though the CO has a fun hidden third sound that is accessed by pressing the button three times (it's the morse-code type sound that was present in some previous CO sonic toys and accessed in a similar way).

Here's a final picture showing how they compare to some other replicas:

[url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1892/43698516144_9be0726af2_b.jpg[/URL]13th Doctor sonic screwdrivers - CO vs Seven20

Nope. Don’t like that AT ALL. Looks like Thanos’ dong.

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

So, I broke down and got one. Not the CO silver turn version, but the Seven20 one. Smaller, more detailed, spinny end thing, etc. Needs to be taken apart and painted black inside to block light leaks, needs to have the screw holes filled in and some of that heavy grain sanded down, then I'm thinking a pewter color with a light black wash on it.

As far as I know they have not shown any pictures of the inside of the Tardis, which is usually revamped when a new Doctor and/or Showrunner takes over, and the last couple of Sonic's sort of resembled the style of the inside of the Tardis. This is making me wonder what the inside is going to

I am sure it will look cool.

:):)

It looks like Rubbertoe is going to be offering this along with a Romana Sonic.

It almost looks like the Seven20 has wood graining in it. It makes you wonder if it was based off of a prototype or drawing that was later rejected.

I found myself wondering the same thing - or perhaps the factory misunderstood its directions and exactly replicated the texture of a 3D printed prototype rather than what the product designers intended. The texture looks exactly like the layer striation from a low resolution 3D print.

Some props have used this to great effect (the crazy folded metal and coral looking grips of the Discovery klingon disruptors for example), but I'm not sure it's correct here based on what we've seen of the screen prop so far.

Do you know who built the production pieces since it only says who designed them. I saw pictures on Nick's site that made me believe they made them.

I found myself wondering the same thing - or perhaps the factory misunderstood its directions and exactly replicated the texture of a 3D printed prototype rather than what the product designers intended. The texture looks exactly like the layer striation from a low resolution 3D print.

Some props have used this to great effect (the crazy folded metal and coral looking grips of the Discovery klingon disruptors for example), but I'm not sure it's correct here based on what we've seen of the screen prop so far.

My thoughts exactly. It's perfectly lined up with the seam along the mid plane itself, from the looks of it. But it doesn't look QUITE consistent enough to actually BE print lines so boy, that would be a huge goof up for them to translate print lines to an actual design element over the entire body!

Neither 'toy' option looks all that close to the production images/art but we'll see what they end up using in the show soon enough! I'm not too excited about this one but hey, new female Doctor, new curvy female Doctor sonic, I guess...

Yeah I'm going with Cyberman turd. I'll probably still buy the Seven20 one though because I'm a sucker.

Wow thats some good old school prop making there, hand sculpted!

I was thinking about taking the Se7en toy and adding apoxiesculpt over it to get the details right and bulk it up, seems like it would work well.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back