Custom Indiana Jones “Bapty” revolver sight... feedback?

lostinperiphery

I’m soon planning to cut the barrel of my m1917, and with the help of my knifemaker/machinist friend, mill a new “Bapty” style front sight. I have 3d modeled the sight, and plan to use his CNC to mill the sight itself. If there is interest, I may try to talk him into doing a short run of them as well.

Design Details:
I’d like to try and make this as close to the original prop dimensions and design as possible, and was hoping to get some feedback on the design as it stands. I’ve modeled this using published original prop dimensions, however I had to make some estimations regarding the sight ramp serrations, as well as the tip of the sight itself. It would be simplest to machine the serrations in 90 degree ‘steps’ as shown here, but if we know they are different, I will do my best to replicate the original design. For example, I could machine the ramp smooth, and hand cut “teeth-like” serrations using a checkering file (which would increase cost in a run of parts).

Construction:
-I plan to mill these from 4140 steel, which would need to be thoroughly degreased and re-blued (either with cold blue, or hot)
-the underside of the sight block will be milled with two 1/16” pin holes to accommodate locator pins between the sight and barrel during installation. These should help minimize the chance of the sight shifting during soldering, ensuring it remains centered and vertical. Alternatively, I’m considering attaching the sight using JB Weld in order to save from having to have the barrel re-blued…

Please let me know what you think of the design so far, or if you know of any better reference images or material [emoji4]

Renderings:
00d2599b5dc9b37dc22aa169e15e1432.jpg

b3a613a527e36dd88c632a901a24778e.jpg

0e70d441d692a6f999e1c985c87e894c.jpg

1c6e181aea130e1064df214755fd264c.jpg

fe8b0283aebda232f11a71e9e925eb88.jpg

Reference image from Profiles in History Auction in 2012
df30c20c19b02df59b3c5453643bb297.jpg

Reference image from “The Complete Making of Indiana Jones”
434c7b1ce1df8e5bfae7da824302c595.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need any more reference material, the revolver is in the 2018 Propstore live auction this year: https://propstore.com/product/india...on-2018-indiana-jones-harrison-ford-revolver/

Awesome, how did I miss this?? Best photos I’ve seen yet, though still not high res enough to tell if the serrations are stepped vs toothed :/

Also, side note, what happened to the broken left grip that used to be present on the Bapty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back