Soldering question

Deimos

Has anyone ever soldered piano wire? (Piano wire aka as "music wire"). It's made of high carbon [spring] steel.

I want to solder 1mm piano wire to copper wire.

K&S Engineering sells short pieces in diameters from .015" to .047" ( ~.4mm- 1.2mm). Product info says it can be soldered.

I just want to know (before I order the stuff) if anyone has soldered it and how it worked out; and, if so, I would very much appreciate any hints/advice/warnings in working with it.

(I am comfortable using a soldering iron...wielded one for my job my whole adult life.)

Thanks

I don't think that high carbon steel would take solder well. You may need to use a more physical attachment, such as a crimp connection. Like those used to join steel rope.

I've never soldered piano wire, but it seems like with a good cleaning and light sanding to expose fresh metal, plus a good flux, it should work. You may need an acid flux, maybe.

For decorative purposes, I'd try a Staybrite #8 solder for the easiest connection. If its going to require more strength you can try brazing it or using a hard silver solder. For a load bearing connection, crimp or other mechanical connector would be better

I've soldered copper to steel in the past and every time the joint flexed the solder would break sufficiently to loose the electrical connection enough that I got tired of it and just crimped it onto the steel. Likely I just had cold solder joints onto the steel but it became such a pain to maintain that crimping was ultimately the better solution.

And if acid flux gets too bad try Zantac.

I see what you did there.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back