Scaling help

redbatman

I have files for the MK 46 Suit from Civil War, and I'm trying to 3D print them, however I can't seem to be able to get scaling right. My friend and I looked at make human & she took my measurements, but I can't always accurately put those measurements into the model. Make human likes to act funky when I'm making a model. I can post them if anyone is willing to help. TYSM!!!!

Which files are they? Some files are made to fit a model that does not well translate to the human body. You have to pull and stretch them to get a snug but proper fit. But that throws off the fit with the other pieces as well so you have to be careful with your scaling. I assume your main problem is the torso and chest? The arms and legs are easier as each piece can be scaled independently of each other to some degree without much problem with fit.

What I did with a Daredevil torso is divide in two right under the pecks,then stretch the waist with Windows 3D Builder.
For widening the waist I use Pepakura Designer 3d menu prior to unfolding by pulling vertexes sideways manually.Perhaps there's a similar feature in a specific 3d program?

Last edited:
It's labor intensive, but I do what you originally attempted: Build a digital mannequin of the person using a list of measurements, and then digitally scale and fit each armor piece to the mannequin in my modeling software before exporting. Beats the heck out of 3d printing/pepping/whatever a piece only to find it's too big or too small, and it also gives you a chance to see how the armor will look, not just fit. And yeah, Make human is not great for doing this, it's interface is easy enough, but it still tries to give everyone unrealistic superhero proportions :lol Good luck with it!

What software do you use for this,Laellee?

Hey there George,

I use Blender to do all of my fitting and scaling, it's just faster for me that way. I've got a set of base mannequins that I start with, I pick one that's close and then alter dimensions from there.

A follow-up and related question if I may:

when pursuing the method of using photos to eventually create a 3d model on the computer,what program/software would you recommend to process these photos?
Does Blender do that too ? Thank you again for clarifying

A follow-up and related question if I may:

when pursuing the method of using photos to eventually create a 3d model on the computer,what program/software would you recommend to process these photos?
Does Blender do that too ? Thank you again for clarifying
I use Agisoft Photoscan. It is effective (definitely not a fix-all) if you're thorough with your setup, and your computer can handle it. (it uses a lot of memory)

How about cloud-based software for those who have less memory capacity?
Would you advise for or against that? Thank you again

How about cloud-based software for those who have less memory capacity?
Would you advise for or against that? Thank you again

By memory I mean the system memory, that is used while processing the photographs, it's a hardware/processing issue instead of an actual file storage issue. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back