BobaDebt Brass scope

redbutton

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi Guys, Need help - I trying to paint a brass scope with rustolium black enamel. And the paint is scraping off with my nails. I know 'weathering'
but I've put clear coat over the first layer of black...the second coat of black is curing and it STILL scrapes off...Any help would be appreciated! Thx

I've heard recently that clear coats can get brittle and maybe take off paint underneath?!

We have the high heat grill paint here, I think he used that tall silver can of "professional" black that halliwax uses, but our nozzle was clogged so it was a rough job, with a lot of compressed air and little paint

High Temp Black spray will work well. Also try a black etch primer.

Brass/Bronze is one of those metals where the paint is notoriously difficult to adhere properly to the surface. Traditionally with brass you'd use an etch primer, so perhaps a black etch primer will be best for the job!

Hi,
I tried the white paint on the stamped text - then wiped it away with a damp paper towel, but it mainly just wiped off. I think the text is a little soft in the cast to sit in the indented areas.
Anyone got any advice to help with this please? I think I heard someone using a chinagraph before too.

Thanks everybody! Using the High Heat Grill paint and then after it cures polishing it with a paper towel. Thanks again.

I let the white paint dry a bit before I rubbed it off. And when I did I used a paper towel with a little thinner and was very light and careful about wiping so I didn't remove it from the recesses of the letters.

Hi,
I tried the white paint on the stamped text - then wiped it away with a damp paper towel, but it mainly just wiped off. I think the text is a little soft in the cast to sit in the indented areas.
Anyone got any advice to help with this please? I think I heard someone using a chinagraph before too.

Rubbed mine down with acetone, then sprayed it with a satin finish. Used acetone to burn some areas of the paint, and to expose the brass underneath

Used tom’s trick with the crayon and it came out awesome

Make sure you clean the scope before painting, that is key

706cde8f7faa4642678aced6821ad4e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's mine - using a new phone

Attachments

• 20180830_122752.jpg
    20180830_122752.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 154
  • 20180830_121501.jpg
    20180830_121501.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 160
  • 20180830_121448.jpg
    20180830_121448.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 165
Started to paint mine up.
Used a white glass pen for the text and some brown antiquing fluid for scope rings and paint scruffs.
It still needs some 0000 wire wool on the paint in places to dull it - but almost done.

What wooden replacement grips are people using for the Denix - any help would be great thanks!
IMG_1570.JPGIMG_1572.JPGIMG_1573.JPG

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back