Resin curing causing paint to be tacky possible solution

TazMan2000

Master Member
Several months ago, I made a resin part that just wouldn't take paint. I baked, froze, and cleaned it with alcohol, mineral spirits and solvents, coated it in flour to absorb any oils, and even after many months, the part would still remain sticky if painted.
Recently I painted a 3D print with Duplicolor sandable filler primer and decided to use it on that problematic resin part, and amazingly the paint didn't tack up. I will continue to monitor.

TazMan2000

Several months ago, I made a resin part that just wouldn't take paint. I baked, froze, and cleaned it with alcohol, mineral spirits and solvents, coated it in flour to absorb any oils, and even after many months, the part would still remain sticky if painted.
Recently I painted a 3D print with Duplicolor sandable filler primer and decided to use it on that problematic resin part, and amazingly the paint didn't tack up. I will continue to monitor.

TazMan2000
My terminator endo skull had tacky patches for ages. In the end, I was told to clear coat to seal. Not sure if that is the solution to the problem, but no more tack.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

My terminator endo skull had tacky patches for ages. In the end, I was told to clear coat to seal. Not sure if that is the solution to the problem, but no more tack.

What clear coat did you use? I used Testors Dullcote, Tamiya Clear Laquer and a couple of others unsuccessfully.

TazMan2000

I have had good luck sealing weepy resin with Zinsser BIN shellac-base spray primer. It's designed to seal and cover things like mold and sap and the same thing seemed to work with the problem resin.

What clear coat did you use? I used Testors Dullcote, Tamiya Clear Laquer and a couple of others unsuccessfully.

TazMan2000
Some satin clear, cheap brand stuff I got from Bunnings. I don't think I even have the can to give you any further info.

I also used it to seal both my All-Spark cube and my 5th Element Stones.

TazMan2000
Found it
54cb96368eee58cf8a99dc32182eec6b.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back