Stormbreaker - 3D printed head, wooden handle

Dymo

Hi! I've been lurking around the forum for some time, and today I've decided to register and write my first post, it will be about my work on Stormbreaker using 3D printing and wooden axe handle.

Here's Timelapse video - LINK)

I started with printing the axe head, I've found nice file with good price on pinshape
https://pinshape.com/items/44651-3d-printed-thor-stormbreaker-avengers-infinity-war
It's not 100% accurate, but it was good enough for me (When I made the prop Avengers IW wasn't released on DVD yet so references from toys was all I had)

Than the printing began
IMG_4618.JPG

It took about 60h of print time for everything, and I've had some extruding issues (better look in timeapse)

Then I glued it together (and used aluminium rods inside for strengh)
IMG_4943.JPG
I used some woodfilling putty and sanded it down while adding more layers of primer filler, I've repeated it untill I was satisfied (well, and tired of it :D)
IMG_5060.JPG IMG_5061.JPG IMG_5062.JPG

I've bought 90 cm wooden axe handle and carved it with my dremmel tool, it was the first time I've done something like this, and there are still places I'd improve, but for now I'm fine with how it turned out. Oh and I also had to chop it with real axe, so it would fit in stormbreaker head, because I broke all my sanding bits while doing it
1.PNG

I painted it with acrylic - burnt umber - paint, and brown kiwi shoepolish
IMG_5072.JPGIMG_5074.JPG

For vines I've bought rope, linen cord and floral tape. Just like Odin on his channel
IMG_5058.JPGIMG_5087.JPG

I've soaked linen cord in water mixed with brown shoepolish and acrylic paint
IMG_5078.JPG
View attachment 837280
In the meantime I've painted axehead with silver car wheel spray, I don't have pictures of it, but here's a screenshot from timelapse
2.PNG
I've made the hole for handle with soldering iron, since axehead was plastic it melted, and while I was putting handle in it, soft plastic inside formed to the shape of handle. I secured it with hot glue and superglue
5.PNG4.PNG6.PNG

After that I started glueing the vines
7.PNGIMG_5089.JPGIMG_5090.JPG
When it was done i finished painting axehead patterns with black acrylic paint
8.PNG

And here's how everything came out:
IMG_5144.JPG
IMG_5136.JPGIMG_5168.JPG

And again, here's the timelapse :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back