What did you think of Roma?

• It was good. Liked it very much.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was disappointing.

• It was bad.

• Total voters
Guierrllmo Del Toro called this one of his favorite films immediately after seeing it. I'm made a bit iffy by that statement but I'm interested in seeing it once it's out.

Caught this last night and I have to ask: All the hype for this?

Not that I don't mind a movie of this nature but after all I've heard about this movie, I thought it would've been something...more. This a minimal b/w portraiture of a time and place more than a character study like I thought it'd be. While the movie does focus on a main character, Cleo's story is a partial one that interacts with other partial stories that, though a beautiful looking movie, ultimately left me unaffected and unmoved.

For a lack of a better word, this left me bored.

I started watching it last night. It's beautiful to look at, but I got kinda bored, too.
I'll try finishing it up tonight.

There were a few scenes like the shooting/picnic in the field and Cleo’s walk through the city to buy movie tickets that were masterful in construction and cinematography. I was immersed in the time and place throughout the film. This was a master course in film production. Unless you have been witness to this type of filmmaking it’s difficult to understand the challenges to making this type of film look so natural and effortless.

Some will not find much story but there are about 7 individual stories weaving together and playing out as if viewed on the edges. We only seeing a glimpse of the fallout of character decisions. I found this refreshing after the deludge of CGI and hero driven film so common today. I’m still amazed at the long complex shots in this film. His tracking shots were groundbreaking in Children of Men and are further refined in this movie. I put this film up there with the greats. I expect it will receive several nominations.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back