Light Up Eyes - has anyone tried polarization filters?

DrCyanide

I've tried researching this, but I haven't seen any signs of someone else trying this. I'm wondering if anyone here knows about the subject or has heard about anyone trying this.

I'm basically wondering if the standard light up eyes method (white mesh in front, one way mirror tint on back) can be improved. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is trying to incorporate polarization into the design to further reduce the light that bleeds into the wearer's eyes.

So, remember this demo from your middle/high school physics class?
C0279768-Polarizing_Filters-SPL.jpg

If you've got one polarized filter in front of a light source you get a sunglasses type effect, where everything is dimmer. If you add a second polarized filter at 90 degrees to the first, then it cuts out all the light from that source.

I'm wondering if you could place a filter in front of your LED's (or possibly just after your diffuser), have the normal middle parts, then have a polarized filter on the back of the lenses rotated 90 degrees from your light source's filter. I'd think that would cut out on the light bleed significantly, but I'm not in a position where I can experiment with it myself yet.

I've tried researching this, but I haven't seen any signs of someone else trying this. I'm wondering if anyone here knows about the subject or has heard about anyone trying this.

I'm basically wondering if the standard light up eyes method (white mesh in front, one way mirror tint on back) can be improved. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is trying to incorporate polarization into the design to further reduce the light that bleeds into the wearer's eyes.

So, remember this demo from your middle/high school physics class?

If you've got one polarized filter in front of a light source you get a sunglasses type effect, where everything is dimmer. If you add a second polarized filter at 90 degrees to the first, then it cuts out all the light from that source.

I'm wondering if you could place a filter in front of your LED's (or possibly just after your diffuser), have the normal middle parts, then have a polarized filter on the back of the lenses rotated 90 degrees from your light source's filter. I'd think that would cut out on the light bleed significantly, but I'm not in a position where I can experiment with it myself yet.

Did you ever make any progress here?

I like this idea as well... (something to try out at least)

I also think I'm gonna design some flexible PCB's with SMD leds... so it will be easier and smaller to mount the edge lighting leds to the edge of the acrylic pieces..

(instead of full sized accent leds at the bottom/edge..with tons of wires...etc)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back