Space 1999 reboot, maybe?

mlsmithjr

This cryptic but interesting nugget appeared on Brian Johnson's Facebook page:

BJ here folks. Am awaiting a green light for an updated version of Space 1999 which will have Eagles and Hawks but some new craft as well. Will be made in the UK and where is TBD and I hope to have more news shortly. Really looking forward to this project. Will report as soon as I have confirmation of the deal.
Onwards and upwards,
Brian

There was a planned reboot in 2014 called Space 2099 that went nowhere. From what I saw of some of the ships, I'm glad it did tank. I hope this works out. Considering Johnson is involved it should go through.

TazMan2000

Ugh! No more reboots! A sequel would be cool, pick up 40 years or so later with the descendants of the Alpha crew still wandering through space.

Meh why not, although back when it first aired my fellow Trekkers and I would point and laugh at that show!

The premise would really need to be fixed for today, though. The idea of the moon being propelled out to deep space by exploding nuclear waste would be a harder sell nowadays. I guess it doesn’t have to be nuclear but I think there are a lot of folks nowadays who would pick the plot apart. e.g. If we’re advanced enough to play with forces this great then why don’t we have the tech to send a few ships out to the moon? It’s one thing to break the moon from orbit but the sheer amount of inertia means it’s not likely to be moving away very fast at all. Maybe the moon gets shifted to a different dimension?

Anyway I'm in it for the space ships, ray guns and monsters, just like I was in 1975.

How about rebooting U.F.O.?

Last edited:
The premise would really need to be fixed for today, though. The idea of the moon being propelled out to deep space by exploding nuclear waste would be a harder sell nowadays. I guess it doesn’t have to be nuclear but I think there are a lot of folks nowadays who would pick the plot apart. e.g. If we’re advanced enough to play with forces this great then why don’t we have the tech to send a few ships out to the moon? It’s one thing to break the moon from orbit but the sheer amount of inertia means it’s not likely to be moving away very fast at all. Maybe the moon gets shifted to a different dimension?

Anyway I'm in it for the space ships, ray guns and monsters, just like I was in 1975.

How about rebooting U.F.O.?

Absolutely. I was saying the same thing to my wife right after I read that. Also the awkwardness of them running into aliens and planets so routinely in a universe so big. I know they gave it some lip service with the wormhole/space warp things flinging them around but it's pretty thin.

UFO can so totally be brought back today and updated -- even a modern continuation would work here. I read a few years ago there was an attempt with that guy from Fringe as Col Foster but it seems to have died out pretty quick.

It was sort of the anti-Trek.

They did not want to be on this journey, it was a survival story, it was a downer, can we live here? NO!
Can we live there? NO! Aliens don't even like us. LOL
Poor Alphans.

The only question is how many Eagles will get "Cartered" ????

Watched some old episodes on YT a while ago and boy, there was a lot of bad stuff in that show and has not aged well but will absolutely give a new one a watch. Hope they dont change the Eagle design too much, one of my all time favourites

I still now and again watch Space 1999 for the nostalgic trip I get. But only season one. I refuse to watch season two. Somehow while floating out in space, they get new uniforms and replacement crew members? No, no, not, just.....no!

I still now and again watch Space 1999 for the nostalgic trip I get. But only season one. I refuse to watch season two. Somehow while floating out in space, they get new uniforms and replacement crew members? No, no, not, just.....no!
I didn't much mind the cast additions, especially Maya. At least she was an alien picked up along the way. My problem was the cast they got rid of, mainly Bergman and Kano. I also hated the new music, not just the theme but all of it. First season music was great, and the main theme was one of TV's best.

Yeah well, neither did the Enterprise.

Yah, but...

enterprise.png

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back