Arduinos in modeling

Great_Bizarro

Sr Member
Anyone using the Arduino computers for automating your models with? Found some cheap modules for adding sound that can be controlled by the Arduinos. Also works for lighting effects and servo control.

There are a few M.Falcon projects with all the bells and whistles, remote control triggered sound effects, smoke, lights. All controlled by Arduino. Good stuff!

Do you mind sharing those modules...I bought an Arduino specifically for that purpose, but I just don't even know the first thing about it.

umm.. yeah.

There are TONS of projects here that use Arduino.. (even for models)

I would say ALL my projects use Arduinos..

For Audio... I recommend the DFPlayer Mini boards.. they cost a couple bucks USD.. can be used as stand alone audio modules.. or in conjunction with a Microcontroller (ie: Arduino)

For lighting I guess it depends on your needs'/wants....

I recommend Neopixels.. or even more so the Dotstar leds..

They are RGB or RGBW even..
They can be individually controlled (meaning each led can have it own color...etc...not all one color at same time)

Trade off is.. battery needs to power these leds (the more you use.. the more current you'll need obviously....and strips add up fast!)
Depending on your project requirements...
Neopixels have a strict timing requirement.. so it doesnt leave the Arduino with much room/time to do other things.. (you need to code in a non-blocking fashion.. or use Dotstars which I dont believe need to be updated as much as the Neopixels do)

Any Arduino questions.. ask away!!

HAHA!..

I would say get the UNO.. as that is what most tutorials are based on...

When you are ready to use it in a final project.. I suggest getting an Arduino Pro-Mini..

They are the same 'thing' more or less.. the Pro-Mini is just a smaller footprint.. (and no on-board USB..etc).. but are much more suitable (size and cost wise) for using and keeping in a prop permanently.

Read.. and understand the 'terminology' used in the Arduino 'scene'.. (it will help when you read up on tutorials//blogs..etc)

Once you go down this road.. you will never look back! LOL.

It will open up some many doors/ideas for you.. (not even just for props!)

Home Automation
CNC stuff
Car/Motorcycle stuff..

etc..

When you want to use the arduino for more than one task, then its not the best approach to use delay or pause-statement.
The problem is that delay() is a "busy wait" that monopolizes the processor. During a delay() call, you can’t respond to inputs, you can't process any data and you can’t change any outputs.
The delay() ties up 100% of the processor. So, if any part of your code uses a delay(), everything else is dead in the water for the duration.
A way to run "multi tasking" on Arduino: https://learn.adafruit.com/multi-tasking-the-arduino-part-1/using-millis-for-timing

tengel07

Is correct. The use of delay() is frowned upon.....and it a 'blocking' action.. it does exactly what is says it does.. delays() the code for the period you want.. so the code just stops. (cant check for button inputs..etc)

Although its fairly easy to switch over to using a millis() instead. (check out the BlinkWithoutDelay example in the IDE/tutorial for an example)

I do not agree with what nkg stated above.

I'm not sure how much more easy it can be.

Install the IDE
plug in your Arduino via USB
upload the code you wrote
done.

I dont think anyone should be discouraged from checking out the Arduino stuff... it was made to be easy/entry level for those that are not real electrical engineers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Carnet the easy way to get started is buy one of the cheap learning kits off Amazon or such. The programs are called sketches and you just load one in to the Arduino IDE and edit it then send it out to the board and it compiles it then ships it off to run. I was lucky that most of the code is just a version of C with a few modifications & I had learned C way back when and can read it with no problem. Here is where you can see whats what https://www.arduino.cc/ to get an idea of what you can do.

xI97, I couldnt believe they could make an mp3 player with amp and micro chip reader all the size of a postage stamp when I saw that board. What is the best place to order the knockoffs that will work from for those? I get lots of items from China but I keep reading where some items are of such bad quality that they dont work for squat. You doing anything with bluetooth? Yep, delays are nothing but a waste of time. :)

I'm not sure how much more easy it can be.

Install the IDE
plug in your Arduino via USB
upload the code you wrote
done.

I dont think anyone should be discouraged from checking out the Arduino stuff... it was made to be easy/entry level for those that are not real electrical engineers :)

Have you had a look at my article? I’m not opposed to the Arduino at all - but I think the key is the third line in your four easy steps. A lot of people find coding extremely difficult, and folks who find it easy tend to underplay that. The solutions I focus on make that part much easier , and also offer a path to text-based coding if you want. The Circuit Playground Express even offers a path to the Arduino IDE if you want to go that way.

Join the darkside Luke, we have variables. I have been building circuits since the 60's even play with tubes which are cool in their own way. I for one like the option of the flexibility of the cpu and how easy it is to change code, but then I am self taught in both electronics and programing. Done many a project with not much more than a 555 and some resistors, its all in the timing. Etched boards for years, but like being able to just plug an ic into a test board and swap out componets till I get the effect I want then burn the board. I know there are circuit emulation programs for that but you still have to learn to use them. I can do it either way but prefer to use a cpu.

nkg

I totally understand how programming can be a daunting task.. and myself being a web developer by trade was not as put off by learning C++ as others may be. I am no pro... I still ask C++ questions myself.... (but I also think I'm doing a bit more now-a-days than blinking some leds or moving a servo..etc.. ) ;)

That being said.. most of the code done is fairly straightforward... with only a few 'general' programming rules to learn (what a variable is.. what an array is... what s a loop is...etc)

And are there are SO MANY tutorials.. and examples.. and forums.. and commuinty support.. that anyone should be able to figure it out or get help for whatever their task is.

I did skim over your link.. and it doesnt really seems to reflect your statement above. (it does 'look' like it is just general info and shines some light on Arduino's as well.. however your statement above does not seem to mirror your page content)

To me.. having control over things is the best place/advantage you can have.

------------------------------

I used to use the Adafruit WaveShields.. then developed my own custom version of it.. with the Arduino and WaveShield stuff all on the same board.. and using all SMD components... designed the pcb's in EAGLE.. sent them out to a fab house in China.. waited a few weeks.. cut a colder stencil/mask using my laser/vinyl cutter....
slapped some solder paste on it.. added the components... and re-flowed it in a $17 toaster oven from wal-mart!

When going the Waveshield route.. the audio stuff puts a heavy load on the Arduino.. and doesnt leave it much time to do other things..
When using the DFPlayer Mini.. that chore is put off on the DFPlayer chip itself.. leaving the Arduino open to do other things...

Con about the DFPLayer Mini is that.. you can use the SD card to hold text files and read or save things to it.. Where as the WaveShield approach I could put a config file in there.. to set user editable parameters for the prop (ammo count, led color settings..etc)

example: to show size difference: (of Adafruit WaveShield stacked on an Arduino UNO.. vs my custom merge of the two)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/scab_assembly/apply_paste.jpg
http://dmstudios.net/misc/scab_assembly/populate_board2.jpg
http://dmstudios.net/misc/scab_assembly/all-in-one_1.jpg
http://dmstudios.net/misc/scab_assembly/all-in-one_2.jpg

Other boards created using the above method as well: (custom, Arduino with on-board USD socket.. think Pro-Mini with SD card)
http://dmstudios.net/misc/uSduino_board_pics/uSDuino_top2.jpg

A run of TASM (Spiderman) webshooter PCB's:
http://dmstudios.net/misc/TASM_pcb/batch1_completed-004_sized.jpg

A DC-17 kit made with all Arduino based stuff.. (kind of a big ket, with several pcb's...etc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj58wl-aT0M&t=7s

I recently developed a kit here for member Valor, for his Rocketeer Jetpacks too.. which turned out great! IMHO.. (Arduino Nano, DFPlayer Mini, and Neopixel led strip)

Kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwev8Sv274E

In use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qddnIJvUUaw

All of those are 'Arduino' compatible circuits... meaning you program and use the same IDE as you do with ones you bought somewhere else.

Back on topic: LOL

Great_Bizarro

I know...right!? I was a bit suspect when I first started using them..

RE: DFPlayer mini boards..
They are small.
Have on-board AMP
Sound great and are fairly loud..

I have purchased many of these over the year.. and have gotten fakes and legit ones.

The fake still 'sorta' work.. but dont respond to some of the latest library commands/actions.. like the ones that query the chip for certain states (current clip, play state..etc).. but still will trigger playback of an audio clip..

I have found that the real ones had:
* blue leds
* had silkscreen on the pcb around all components (resistors, caps..etc)
* had a legit/real YX5200 chipset on the bottom of the board.. (fakes had a chip with the writing ground off!)

They can be used STAND ALONE.. (no code!)...

Or in conjunction with a microcontroller.. to be able to have more control over things.. (such as when you trigger based of an event or sensor value, volume...etc)

I mean for under $5.00 (Pro-Mini and DFPlayer Mini).. you have a pretty capable effects system to do whatever you want!~

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you’ve argued my point here. :) Arduinos are a great class of devices that can do a lot for people who really want to explore them. And that’s great. But not everyone wants to go that deep. For some people even soldering an LED is tricky. And I think either end is absolutely fine - everyone has their priorities and goals. I just think that the “Arduinos are super easy - anyone can program in C!” argument actually discourages lots of people from playing with microcontrollers, since they look at the code and get stuck.

Last edited:
Well I -do- think Arduino's are easy!.. I cant think of another platform that makes it as easy for noobs like me to make/create stuff.. even though Im not an electrical engineer or never taken classes on anything of the sort. it was created for beginners and noobs without experience.. thats their whole 'gig'..

But no I -dont- think anyone can program in C++ LOL

Although I dont think it becomes much of a concern until you want to do more advanced projects..with with many modules, components, several things at once...etc..

That being said.. you can still be pretty proficient without truly understanding how to program.

I think most anyone can understand setting a pin HI or LO to turn an led on..

My stance is once you give it a shot.. it becomes easier.. and you want to learn more.. The 'fear factor' is replaced with motivation/excitement,

And with all the examples and tutorials out there.. it becomes even less scary.

Mixing up fear/motivation with ease of use is not the same to me.

Its up to the end user... but I believe in full disclosure and letting the end user make the final decision themselves about if its too hard for someone.

Thats not to say your alternative approach is wrong.. you do what can with what you have. And if Arduino's are too hard/difficult for you to work with.. then you make a solution with what you have and know. Thats fine too. I would find it more in-efficient (from some standpoints) to use a 555 chip.. instead of a quick couple lines of code.. :)

I guess depends on project needs and costs.. and availability.

Hardware, or Hardware/software is not a real question, it is just how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole. I was hardware only till I bought my first Atari 400 and found you could program it to send data out the joystick ports. I then wrote a program and a tutorial on how to control a Radio Shack rc tank using a few transistors and a few lines of basic. Made the mistake of putting it in a news letter that a fellow decided to start offering it as a kit. Anything with a processor in it is just a combination of chips in a small format. Even hardware only you must know what each componet does and how it reacts to the next componet it addresses so you can learn it that way or learn to program and not worry about much more than pin out info and what it takes to talk to the item you control usually a resistor or cap resistor combination. So no matter which way you go you still have to spend some time learning.

Hey I can program in C++, got as far as "hello world" before I decided I didn't want to do that for a living. :) I spent the last 6 yrs installing and maintaining the big score boards in the area and became convinced I didnt want to do the hardware side of it any longer for a living either so hobby hacker it is!

Last edited:
hey, new to the coding thing, but as a buddy and i are taking a computer science class and have learned arduino coding, i want to use our newfound knowledge to code a circuit for my tasm web shooters, like xl97 did for his. id also like to follow his method of designing a pcb similar his, to get two made for my personal project. how to i go about designing it? and how will the code end up on this custom board, if it doesnt have a port to put the code onto it like an arduino does? and help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

I used EAGLE to design the schematic and board design (some pics posted in the community TASM thread)

You do NOT need a USB port to program an 'Arduino' compatible circuit.. (just makes it easier).. you can break out the specific pins (which I did) and use those..

You can also forgo the Arduino bootloader all together. and program the Atmega directly... (I think Hobby King sells the adapter I used)

Need a steady had to hold it there over the chip for a few seconds though! :)

Other than that.. it the same process as usual.

Be aware.. if (somehow) you get a hold of my boards... you -can- upload your own code... but will never get the original firmware back.. (as far as I remember, I never made it open source)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back