Yavin 4 scanner (ANH) - all major parts positively identified

All I can say is that we're going to have some very nice replica parts kits made available

So, for planning purposes for those interested, right at the beginning I contacted trooper to make arrangements to partner to make good replicas available. For me, the motivation was to help alleviate buying pressure on the rare original parts. If you've seen trooper's work (e.g., his macrobinocular lens kits, for a good relevant example) you'll know that he does very nice, quality work in reproducing hard-to-find and/or expensive items with good fidelity to the originals. Stay tuned - if you really want your own scanner you'll be able to get good reproductions of everything needed to assemble one...

Dan

So, for planning purposes for those interested, right at the beginning I contacted trooper to make arrangements to partner to make good replicas available. For me, the motivation was to help alleviate buying pressure on the rare original parts. If you've seen trooper's work (e.g., his macrobinocular lens kits, for a good relevant example) you'll know that he does very nice, quality work in reproducing hard-to-find and/or expensive items with good fidelity to the originals. Stay tuned - if you really want your own scanner you'll be able to get good reproductions of everything needed to assemble one...

Dan
kit will be lighter than original parts
well done Dan

Great detective work! Don't you love it when things finally match up with the grainy pictures you've been staring at for years?!

Can't wait to see how it all fits together...

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Still to solve is the identity of the small greeblie attached to the top of the spot meter. Looking at the frames from the scene looped back-and-forth it has the appearance of a brass precision/jeweler's screwdriver that has been gaffer taped to the top of the meter, and that's what I went with for the initial comparison shots we did:

yavin_scanner_samples.jpg
5D3_6737_small.jpg

You'll see that mine does not fit the exact on-screen look, but I couldn't find one of the appropriate size at the time (I used the largest-headed one I could find). I think this interpretation is consistent with the principle of looking for items the film crew would naturally have with them in their kit, but I've never seen a small screwdriver like that with that large a head.

To get the proper on-screen look for now I 3D modeled out the top head of the Minolta spot meter, to accurate scale, then made a 3D model of one of those screwdrivers, leaving the shaft and the finger socket as separate meshes so I could scale them independently. I then camera projected the 3D meshes onto some key frames from that scene and adjusted the screwdriver elements iteratively until I found a solution that is consistent between several frames (orientations). So the model you see here is the proper relative size and positioning compared to the spot meter head to match the on-screen appearance.

screwdriver_model_04.jpgscrewdriver_model_03.jpgscrewdriver_model_02.jpgscrewdriver_model_01.jpg

That only temporarily solves the top greeblie problem. If this is indeed a vintage precision/jeweler's screwdriver then the finger socket is of order 2 cm in diameter. I'd sure like to identify and locate the proper vintage found part...

Dan

Yeah I don't think they made those particular style screwdrivers that large.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone here did I got a message from the vendor to say it had sold way back via another forum, but had been inundated by people in past few hours after it.

Dan I'm curious on the battery part does a hood or something get removed to reveal the silver ring, none of the pictures I've seen look like that?

Dan I'm curious on the battery part does a hood or something get removed to reveal the silver ring, none of the pictures I've seen look like that?

I'll get some detailed photos for you of this part of the motor when I get home. I've seen only one motor that had that portion silver, on every other one I've seen photos of on the web, and on mine, that portion is the usual black painted coating typically found on these kinds of 'industrial' use cameras. To match the on screen look for the comparison photos I taped over that portion of mine with aluminum tape.

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back