Fullscale X-Wing Plans (ANH,ESB, ROTJ)

SteveStarkiller

Sr Member
Long time no post!

Some dreams I've had since I was an actual child came true this year, in more ways than one. Including visiting the ILM campus and getting engaged! I've been planning how to write about those experiences, and do justice to the amazing people who brought me there.

But in the meantime, what do I do to celebrate? Start all new projects!

I present to you a photomatched study of the Full-Scale X-Wing. The props in the photos below are from A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, respectively. The geometry I've built matches across all three movies, which is frankly surprising. Either the prop is actually the same or it followed the same blueprints between movies. My gut says that the prop for A New Hope was scrapped and rebuilt with the same blueprints on Empire, which is how the full-scale Falcon was built. Then that full-scale X-wing was reused on Return of the Jedi. In the last photo there's an X-wing that is only built from the nose forward, which may have also been a prop in Echo Base on Empire (correct me if I'm wrong!)

with no obvious donor parts to measure, which is the classic benchmark with most photogrammetry, I substituted a model of R2 with dimensions gleaned from this very site. I also started with the elevation drawings available in the Rinzler blueprints book but... let me just just say here for the record that those are wrong and I have no idea what they're based on. Lord knows I tried to build geometry based on those drawings and make it match in perspective to what's on screen or behind the scenes. It's frankly baffling how different they are....

here's where I am so far. Stayed tuned, as Sofaking01 and Izzymel might join me on this project...

I'm still fiddling with the nose geometry and planes, but I'm pretty happy with how the rest of the proportions have turned out so far.

obscure reference of the OT full scale models forever and always welcome!

02.png

03.png

0.png

Oh, this one is going to be fun to watch! Great work - I love solving problems with photogrammetry. :)

Dan

Holy....I am amazed by sized down projects and they are cool, but finally someone's tackling a full scale project.
To put this in duku's words "I've been looking forward to this"

So, what are we doing? Are we making a 3D model of the full scale ship? Are we scaling this down to make a very different sort of studio scale X-wing?

thanks everyone!

no plans set in stone at the moment, but as I mentioned both Sofaking01 and Izzymel have expressed interest in doing something with my finished 3D study here. Obviously Sofaking has a history of turning some of my models into real objects... We'll see if he ends up getting a bigger garage... Izzymel has also done some amazing prints from my stuff as well, and he has a really outstanding 1:6 X-Wing cockpit that I got to see up close at the Escape Velocity convention in DC... not to mention getting to see the full-scale Falcon Cockpit there and meeting Sofaking for the first time after years of collaboration.

Next up, I'm making more photomatches of the rear and then moving on to shore up the nose and photomatch some cockpit images. Stay tuned

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
My gut says that the prop for A New Hope was scrapped and rebuilt with the same blueprints on Empire, which is how the full-scale Falcon was built. Then that full-scale X-wing was reused on Return of the Jedi.
I think so as well.

The nose was for bringing up to Norway. It certainly could have been sticking out of a cubby hole in Echo Base as well, sure.

Looking great so far!

Attachments

• star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-4092.jpg
    star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-4092.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 344
work has stalled: the cockpit is just not matching photos cleanly the way all the shots from the rear did. Not sure how to proceed, but if the geometry I've come up with so far isn't as accurate as it seemed at first, then I'm just building yet another wonky not-quite-right x-wing. Not sure when I throw in the towel...

work has stalled: the cockpit is just not matching photos cleanly the way all the shots from the rear did. Not sure how to proceed, but if the geometry I've come up with so far isn't as accurate as it seemed at first, then I'm just building yet another wonky not-quite-right x-wing. Not sure when I throw in the towel...

Dont you dare throw in the towel! Who is this and what have you done with SS!?? ;)

I think its safe to say that, like the Falcon, there is no ONE single definitive version of the XWing. I think you're going to have to compromise somewhere. My thought is to keep the exterior exactly the same and make those necessary changes to the interior / cockpit to make it all work. We all know the XWing cockpit saw major design/greeblie changes from ANH to RotJ.

Dont know if this helps?

Would measuring up some full size parts help to kickstart at least the cockpit area?

yes definitely! Measurements of known donor parts might really make the difference.

I think its safe to say that, like the Falcon, there is no ONE single definitive version of the XWing. I think you're going to have to compromise somewhere.

the main problem is that the dimensions aren't matching between front and rear photos of the exact same set piece. The most detailed cockpit images are in the Degobah set. All my photomatches of the rear of that set work great, all the cockpit ones... not so much. So that leads me to believe I don't have the right proportions. I can always tell when I've really got the proportions down because photomatches from any angle are matching with ease, no shoe-horning or "eehhh close enough" necessary. So... it's back to the drawing board

"Stay on target..."

Dan

LOOSEN UP!

the main problem is that the dimensions aren't matching between front and rear photos of the exact same set piece. The most detailed cockpit images are in the Degobah set. All my photomatches of the rear of that set work great, all the cockpit ones... not so much. So that leads me to believe I don't have the right proportions. I can always tell when I've really got the proportions down because photomatches from any angle are matching with ease, no shoe-horning or "eehhh close enough" necessary. So... it's back to the drawing board

Might be an error in your estimate of the focal length of the lens or the film back dimensions? Do you have that info from the source of the photos or have you been making an educated guess? That might account for some of the mismatches maybe.

LOOSEN UP!

Couldn't resist. :)

Dan

I don't have these viewers but measuring up one and matching the lens area against some screencaps would be a big help.

anhXWviewers.jpg 13498edit2.jpg

Them Tridents are hard to come by lol.

the main problem is that the dimensions aren't matching between front and rear photos of the exact same set piece

We know that several X Wing bodies were created for ESB. Is it possible that several bodies were used for the same shot / reshoots and / or the wings were mounted to different bodies for different shots?

I think you're right, there probably were different bodies.

But what I mean is photos of the same set piece in the same shoot. Take the degobah set for instance: my geometry fits photos of the back of the half sunken ship, but not photos of the front of the same sunken ship. I don't think it's especially likely they'd sink two different bodies... though anything's possible!

again, I'm probably being too fussy, but for me there's no point to this particular build if it's not a near perfect match. There've been hundreds if not thousands of replicas of X-wings, all different. Most based on the studio scale models. For me I just want a version of the fullscale that's just dead on. I felt like I was getting really close because pictures of the back were matching so well, but then kinda threw up my hands when it didn't fit the cockpit. The geometry of that dashboard is so odd and specific, I especially don't want to feel like I'm making compromises there... so I hafta pause for a bit and get my bearings. Wavey sent me some great greeblie reference and measurements and those might definitely help... we'll see where this goes.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back