1966 Batman BatRadio/Transmitter scratchbuild

Yeah. I have been messing around with one of these. That bottom button looks brass, but surely it’s a rubber boot of some kind.
I’ve been messing around for the past few days with this and finished sculpting a custom boot for the push buttons I’m using. Since it looks like the cover is brass, I will try cold casting them in resin with some brass powder.

Here is one after paint, and the brass screws holding the back plate on. Please note that in the first picture, there is a noticable "lump" of what looks like dripping paint. That's not what it is. The image exaggerates a small c-scar that I put in the sculpt to mimick peeling wood. It's definitely not that noticable in person.
d8JNa3n.jpg

FLYiy3n.jpg

If you feel like I’m highjacking your thread let me know and I’ll delete my post.

Here are my test parts with a quick paint job. I think the speaker holes need to be smaller.
36433adbaa974bc6046f7eb3dac102e3.jpg

Alright, so instead of putting the button in the front, the brass piece will be static. This will allow me to make a more accurate button, and utilize the small carved out space in the lower portion of the radio for the button. The setup is a 9v battery and a momentary push button facing the bottom of the radio. It is glued into place so that it can't be pressed unintentionally, but it still easy to press. The bulb I chose lights up 15 feet of my hallway reasonably well too. Now to add the plexiglass!!
1EF4XOZ.jpg

Lighting looks awesome. I worked on mine a bit more.

29c09d6b5fefaad7805df762f43ee9bb.jpg

Smaller holes on the speaker grill. I cut both wood and plexi grills and light cover border. Rub n Buff does not like the plexi (too smooth).

How thick did yours end up being? My body is made of 1/4, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/4 layers with a 1/8 back cover. My wood detail parts are 1/8.

My main body is 15/16” thick with a 1/8” thick backplate. The “smile” detail and speaker grill are both 1/8” as well. This seemed like the best balance between everything so it all remains proportionate.

Okay, so tonight is the night I return home after a short time away. I will take some images of a finished radio and post them tonight as I can. After 8 attempts at different grills I have finally landed on cold casting them all with bronze powder and hand drilling every hole on the grills. It takes a little more time, but the finished product looks absolutely spot on, so this is what will be done.

Finished my prototype tonight.. the chrome bearings on the antennas are just for proof of concept and will be replaced with the accurate antenna-setup for the ones produced in my run.
ARHXzZi.jpg

btGaE27.jpg

8V3HQYB.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back