Questions about "Buffing Metalizer" lacquer

Axlotl

Master Member
1. Can I use this without primer - i.e.: as a primer itself?

2. Can I use another lacquer as a top coat over this stuff?

3. Can I use an enamel as a top coat over lacquer?

4. Can I sandwich an enamel between 2 layers of lacquer?

5. What do I buff this stuff with? Newspaper? An old t-shirt? A bristle brush from a shoe-shine kit?

I'm building a P-61 Black Widow, and it's BIG, so I decided to save some money and buy spray cans instead of bottles.
My original plan was to prime it with silver/aluminum, cover that with a coat of zinc yellow, then spray the satin black over that, using salt weathering to show the yellow under the black, and the silver under the yellow.

Unfortunately, Hobby Lobby has a pretty limited selection, and the only thing close to a zinc yellow they have is an enamel.
I didn't buy that one, because I decided to try my hand at this buffing metalizer stuff, which I've never used before, and I don't know if I can spray enamel over lacquer.
As a rule, I don't mix mediums, but Hobby Lobby doesn't seem to want to give me a choice anymore.
If you guys think I can safely do lacquer/enamel/lacquer, I'll go back and get it.
If not, I'll just do black over silver and skip the yellow.

Enamel over lacquer is fine. Lacquer over enamel depends on how dry the enamel is, and how hot the lacquer is. What black are you planning to use? An enamel or acrylic black will work fine.

Enamel over lacquer is fine. Lacquer over enamel depends on how dry the enamel is, and how hot the lacquer is. What black are you planning to use? An enamel or acrylic black will work fine.

Thanks, robn1. I'll go back and get that yellow enamel then, and trade the black lacquer I got for an enamel.

Hobby Lobby!
Why are you dealing with those clowns when you have the world of the internet at your fingertips?

I know, right? :facepalm
I'm trying to do this model on the cheap.
Last time I went the internet route I ended up spending over $200 on a $40 kit.

1. Can I use this without primer - i.e.: as a primer itself?

Recommended, not necessary, but you get better results, looks more metallic. The Steel color looks real until you spray it with the Gloss coat sealer.
( which you need to do or it will wear off to a degree).

3. Can I use an enamel as a top coat over lacquer?

If you use Tester paints. I have never had any issues with them together. Just be sure to let the lacquer cure (dry) for a few days first.

5. What do I buff this stuff with? Newspaper? An old t-shirt? A bristle brush from a shoe-shine kit?

A) An old T shirt works fine. Shoe brush gives a cool scratch effect. Never thought of trying news paper:cool

Best of luck and experiment on an old model first. And have fun.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back