Tanaka M1917 v S&W 1936 M1917

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally obtained a Tanaka 1917 and I must say, it's fantastic. I've tried several times over the years to get one but it's always out of stock wherever I checked. In the meantime I acquired a 1936 S&W M1917.

Just for kicks and giggles, I thought I'd post a side by side comparison of the two. The Tanaka is so accurate, it accepts .45 ACP cartridges. The only real difference is the S&W is just a bit heavier as expected, but not by much. Grips are even interchangeable.

IMG_1474.JPGIMG_1480.JPGIMG_1479.JPGIMG_1478.JPGIMG_1477.JPGIMG_1476.JPGIMG_1475.JPGIMG_1473.JPGIMG_1472.JPGIMG_1481.JPG

The Smith's cylinder must be milled out a bit so the star clip sits flush. The Tanaka sits a little bit higher, looks like.

By star I'm assuming the Moon Clips? The moon Clips fit both revolvers perfectly without any modification. Both eject perfectly too.

The Smith's cylinder must be milled out a bit so the star clip sits flush. The Tanaka sits a little bit higher, looks like.

No, I didn't mean modified. Looking at the pics with the cylinder open, you can see the clip on the rim of the cartridge on the Tanaka sticks out a bit more than on the Smith. I was wondering if the Smith cylinder had a recess in it to allow the clip to sit flush, or if the Tanaka clip was ejected ever so slightly.

Edit. Never mind, I zoomed in on the pic and saw the Smith has a different type of clip.
Does the Tanaka clip hold all 6 rounds? I see the Smith has three clips in pairs. With the small pic my eye saw more visible brass panther Tanaka and thought it wasnt fully recessed into the cylinder.

I no expert when it comes to these but the one I have (used as a base for my scratch-mod PKD) is really quite impressive for a model gun. Unlike yours though, I think mine's an air/pellet gun but, for the most part, it looks really convincing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back