Foamsmithing Class Curriculum Help

wave221

Hi, So I'm a teacher and my admin approved my elective class for foamsmithing. It's for middle school students and I'm really excited to teach it. I have a few things already planned for my curriculum, like Destiny Hunter Knife, skyrim dagger and basic helmet. My eventual goal is to have students make their own props but I need to help teach them fundamentals and concepts.
What are some other things I could show them how to make? I'm looking for basic items that they could then translate to their own designs.
Also do you have some go to sites for templates that are free?
Thank you for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evil Ted Smith has a ton of designs. Helmets and other wearable art might be best for the focus of the class, and maybe not so much weapons. Just thinking about the panic state of mind weapons in schools bring about with parents. I'd hate to see you in trouble because you taught a kid how to make a foam weapon and some parent (or worse) flips out. Not that I'm trying to lecture you about how to best do your job, just that I know how parents can act these days. Especially with kids of that age.

Rant over.

Kids that age are generally into video games, superhero movies, things like that.
So in the spirit of keeping it age appropriate, keep the PG-13 sources at a minimum.

MCU stuff might include Thors helmet, Caps shield, iron man helmet.
If you were to do any kind of weapon, I'd keep it to more like Thors hammer, Minecraft swords, etc.

Google "whatever" templates in an image search, and you can find things easy to complex.

Kovnyn

No worries. I had the exact same concern. I find it sad that a whole section of creativity is closed off to them but I understand. I guess if they really enjoy it the could make it at home. If they want to make a gun it has to be a cartoony looking one with an orange tip. Also the knives once finished must have a small orange strip down the blade side.

I like the idea of MCU stuff, I think that could excite them. I was also thinking of having them bring in their own stills of props they like and making a large idea board of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back