Black Nike MAG Footwear Box

MitasTouch

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So now that Ive ordered another pair of MAGs after about a year and a half I figured I want to make a custom box. I never really liked the yellow one since it didn't really make sense for a part II prop to have a part I inspired box. The shoes I got were from a sale from Professor_sneakers in instagram which did not include a box so I need something to carry them in so i thought this was a perfect opportunity. He did however manage to let me buy just the foam inserts by themselves for $20 so the dimensions will be from the V3 and V3.1 box. I am not sure if they are different from the RD box but i dont mind. I will try to be as detailed as I can if anyone wants to try to make their own box. So lets get started.

So I will put a parts list down below and describe where I got them. In total I've spent about $50 in materials.

1. 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch thick MDF
2. Matte black vinyl
3. Rare Earth magnets
4. Nike Footwear stickers
5. Glue

I got the MDF at lowes. I got the different thicknesses in different isles though. The vinyl was from Amazon and the magnets were from ebay. The thinner the better for the magnets as you want to get them flush with the board pieces Some slight drilling is required to do this. More on that later in the build. I was also able to get the stickers made by Professor_sneakers for $10.

The perimeter pieces will be using the 1/4 inch MDF and the bottom of the box, back piece that is attached to the back 1/4 inch piece, the top, and the flap will all use the 1/8 inch MDF. I happened to have a local woodworking shop that agreed to cut my pieces for me.

The way the box is constructed for the folds to work right for opening and closing the box and moving the flap there needs to be three separate pieces using the vinyl to connect them. After the pieces are wrapped in vinyl to cover most of it including the edges and corners this is when they will be laid flat onto a large piece of vinyl and 1/8 inch apart to allow folding and sealed. Do this to both sides. Vinyl is strong so if it is done right it wont tear. This technique was shown to me by WizardBTTF. I had to account for the 1/8 inch gaps when planning out what sizes the pieces needed to be cut to equal the dimensions I was given for the replica box.

The perimeter pieces will be cut at 45 degree angles and glued to the bottom piece which is made of the 1/8 MDF. I still have to figure out the entire process of installing the rare earth magnets since they require precise measurements. I will go into more depth once I get to that stage. Everything from that is simply just gluing it all together.

I hope this wasn't too complicated. Once I have more time I will upload pictures to better describe myself. I will need to wait until Monday to get the pieces cut as the woodworker does not work weekends. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Hope you all enjoy the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are pictures of the real friends and family footwear box.
video_image-144614.jpg

video_image-144611.jpg

So I got all the pieces cut. Cost me $20 for the labor. I got home and attempted to apply the vinyl to the first piece. I started on the flap first since its the smallest piece. Unfortunately I made the mistake of putting the vinyl I want to be on the outside on the part that has a while material that comes off easily if an adhesive is pulled off. I laid the vinyl on but messed up so i pulled it up and it ruined the piece.

I will need another piece cut. But next time i will use the raw side of the MDF to use as the face that shows. I will also get a large ruler to cut straight lines on the vinyl. WizardBTTF advised that I start at a corner and press it on from there.

Normally, a friends and family pack is one 2011 and one replica movie shoe with a sock toe.

Given it missed the point does actually say something about how good the reps actually are.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back