Converting a couple of old Hasbro Snowspeeder

Laspector

Master Member
I recently found a couple of old Hasbro snowspeeders online and thought I would fix 'em up.
First thing to do was take them apart. Which was kinda tricky. This particular toy, in addition to being screwed together, actually has a few parts factory glued. But with a little effort and a little cursing I got them apart.
IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
First thing was to cover up all the screw holes
IMG_0490.JPG
Kinda funky looking--
IMG_0507.JPG
But not too noticeable once painted
IMG_0514.JPG

Didn't really do a lot of build pics, but a few.
First part to do was fix this cockpit. Didn't like the way these seats were so laid back. Makes the pilots look like the are looking up at the ceiling.
IMG_0484 - Copy (2).JPG
So I cut it out
IMG_0505.JPG
and built a new one. Found it actually worked better attaching it to the lower part of the cockpit than into the cockpit carriage
IMG_0508.JPG

Last edited:
Back to the cockpit carriage. I wanted to mount the thing from underneath, but wanted the pylon towards the back. So, I inserted this wooden block into it for support and drilled a slanted hole into it so the ship would be banking.
IMG_0506.JPG
'course that means the rear gunner's legs had to go. Also found out that the pilot's legs needed to be trimmed off, too
IMG_0520.JPG
Also, these action figures I ordered seemed to be a smidgeon taller than your regular 3 and 3/4" figures. Almost 4". So, due to that and now that they are sitting up straighter than they toy was made for, each needed their butts trimmed off, literally.
IMG_0513.JPG

Once it was all put together the new seat fit in pretty well.
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG
I also added this little bit of piping at the rear of the cockpit. Shown with the cockpit open, I realize it shouldn't be there, but when the cockpit is closed it gives the impression of those handles you see Dak grabbing as he closes the cockpit in ESB. This is something I've always noticed missing from most snowspeeder models.
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG

Unfortunatley, that about where my build pics end. I'm just not much on snapping pictures everytime I do a new piece. I just always forget to do it.
But anyway, here is how it all turned out. I thought they came out pretty well for a toy conversion. And I really like doing these banking angles on the final mount. Used a couple of wooden paper towel holders I found at Walmart for the bases and some vinyl rebel decals I found online. Lot of tinkering, taping, painting, and gluing later--
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG

Very nice mods on those birds; would've like a close up of the cockpit showing the pilots better...apart from that: A+:thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back