1:1 Pickle Rick

Yarok

Hi guys,

A couple months ago i got this idea of modelling a Pickle Rick... out of a real pickle, 'cause why not? So, here's the story so far :)

I went to my local store and got me a nice pickle, and proceeded to make a copy using molding alginate powder. This medium sets rapidly and should be relatively food-safe - after all, who would waste a delicious pickle right? Also, i only needed a couple of copies so again, cheap alginate was the option.

IMG_2157.jpg

Never mind the sliced salami and the Rhum-Cola, those aren't part of the process. But the Cars plastic cup and the BBQ skewer are! I stuck the pickle on the skewer just to avoid it sinking down and staying upright while the alginate sets.

IMG_2164.jpg IMG_2163.jpg IMG_2165.jpg

Once the alginate was set, i carefully cut the mold and freed the pickle for later consumption. I placed the mold back in the plastic cup and poured resin plaster. I was then able to make two decent copies and picked the best one.

IMG_2169.jpg IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2170.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Taz ^^

So, after these steps, i left the kitchen and went back to the workshop.

When the resin plaster was bone-dry, i marked the face features with a pencil and carved the mouth opening with a dremel. I then proceeded to add the details with Magic Sculp (Apoxie or Milliput would work as well, i guess).

First the eyes, then the brow, nose and lips :

IMG_20180719_221929.jpg IMG_20180720_081701.jpg

When this first set of features were hardened, i carried on with the teeth and the tongue

IMG_20180721_154302.jpg

After that, i went over every details and added some more Magic Sculp to avoid undercuts as much as possible, as this would interfere with the molding and casting process.

When i was happy with the cleanliness of the sculpt, i putty-primed the whole thing and double-checked for flaws.

IMG_20180724_192909.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys ^^
@vader45 : yes, i just might. PM me if you're interested.

Let's carry on!

I wanted to preserve my original copy, as i'd like to try and paint a couple versions (one cartoonish to match the series and one more realistic). I'm really no expert at casting resin copies, so what comes next might induce some cringe amongst the pros, but here goes.

I stuck Rick on some 6mm aluminum tubing and into a wooden plate. Around tubing, i rapidly made an inverted funnel with plastiline. This will serve as a hole to pour the resin later on. I also prepared a square box mold with hot-glued cardboard

IMG_20180801_191230.jpg

To make sure that every detail from the face is covered, i applied RTV silicone with a Q-Tip. This was also done at the base.

IMG_20180806_213156.jpg

Next, i hot glued the box mold on the base and poured the rest of the silicone. I had to patch a small leak at the base (hence the extra strip of cardboard) (the funny face is a reminder to know where the front of the mini is, so i know where not to cut the mold open ^^)

IMG_20180806_215027.jpg

I let the silicone harden overnight. Not pictured, the silicone crept up a few of the 'tunnels' inside the carboard, so i had to pour another centimeter of silicone to make sure the coverage was complete. Another day of hardening, then ripped it apart and voilà, one Pickle Rick entombed in silicone ^^

IMG_20180807_183842.jpg IMG_20180807_184454.jpg

Next up, let's pour some resin ^^ but the update may take some time as i'll be afk for a couple of weeks :)

Cheers!

It's threads like these that really make me love the RPF. Awesome sculpting too btw. I like that you put the detail in the pupils.

Up! i'm back from my holidays, time for an update!

When the silicone was cured, i made a zigzag shaped cut, making sure to cut at the back.

IMG_20180807_184506.jpg

This allows me to release the master sculpt, and provides some sort of key to align the mold back before pouring the resin.
First, I poured plain water in the mold, then poured it back in a plastic cup. I put a mark at the waterline, that gave me an estimate of the total volume resin i'd need.

Then, i mixed my resin (the classic 50/50 stuff). Not pictured, i hold the mold open and pour a small amount, then with a q-tip i cover the whole face and mouth area with resin, to make sure this part of the mold with the most details is completely covered and without bubbles (unfortunately i do not own a vacuum chamber or a pressure pot to remove bubbles).

IMG_20180807_185620.jpg

The mold is then filled to the top and left overnight to cure.

IMG_20180807_190442.jpg

Pretty glad how the copies turned out! They really have a minimal amount of bubbles, and should paint up nicely :)

IMG_20180807_205521.jpg

IMG_20180808_082352.jpg

IMG_20180808_082358.jpg

(sorry for the burned pictures, shooting off-white resin was a bit tricy).

Next: painting \o/

Painting time!

After a good coat of grey automotive primer and a few touch-ups with putty, the Ricks were ready. I had two schemes in mind : one to match the episode of the TV show, the other as a realistic pickle.

The TV Rick was simply airbrushed with an appropriate mix of green overall. After that, a highlight was airbrushed right in the middle and at the base. Then it was simply a matter of painting the details, using off-white for the eyes, a blueish grey for the brow and some light stone color (warm grey) for the teeth. The inside of the mouth is a very dark green.

IMG_20180826_170334.jpg IMG_20180826_172122.jpg IMG_20180903_211627_432.jpg

For Real Rick i adopted another technique. I sponged some very diluted mixes of greens, ochre, olive drab and yellow to try and replicate the marbled texture of a real pickle. When i was happy with the result, i coated everything using Klear (or Klir, or Pledge, depending on where you're from ^^). The mouth, eyes and brow were painted next with Vallejo and Citadel paints. As a final touch, the eyes were glossed up with Tamiya Clear varnish.

IMG_20180826_172845.jpg IMG_20180826_174312.jpg IMG_20180826_175255.jpg IMG_20180903_211627_428.jpg

Like brothers :D

IMG_20180901_153310.jpg

And a final shot 'in situ' for TV Rick :)

IMG_20180903_211936.jpg

Thanks for watching!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back