The Meg (Post-release)

What did you think of The Meg?

• Total voters

Father

Sr Member
Meg (2018) Pre-Release

Any fans of the Steve Alten Meg series of books?

Meg (2018) IMDb
Meg (Film) Wikipedia

I was pretty excited when I heard they were going to make this into a movie... until I started seeing the casting.
Anyone else think this might be a mess of a movie?
It looks like they're adding a lot of characters that aren't in any of the books.
The choice of actors to play Jonas and Mac are not who I expected or hoped for at all. I always pictured Kyle Chandler or Joel Edgerton as Jonas and maybe Sharlto Copley or Karl Urban as Mac.

What say you?

Re: Meg (2018) Pre-Release

I read Meg when it first came out and eagerly grabbed every sequel the day it was released. I was really excited about the movie when I first heard about it. That all changed when I read more about it. They've changed so much that it barely resembles the book. The new Chinese plot just feels like pandering as well.

I think at this point I'm more excited just to see how good the shark effects will be.
I agree the story seems like a huge departure from the source material and I'm surprised Steve Alten is ok with it all. Maybe he's just happy enough someone wants to do it a all.

Will it be the next Jaws? Pretty unlikely. Just the fact that it's about something that isn't real and in the water we swim in makes it less scary.

With that being said... I could actually stomach a Jaws reboot... or maybe even a sequel. Mainly because I like seeing how well they can match today's actors to the originals. It would be a daunting task. Dreyfus was perfect in that movie. Robert Shaw was amazing. Scheider was easily overshadowed by those two but was still good. I'd love to see them try to match it without going all Hollywood and plugging popcorn actors in and making it more of a SFX movie than a true-to-source-material movie. Making a Jaws that's more true to the book wouldn't count as a reboot of the movie as much as a purist version.

I'd be open to seeing if they could do what George Lucas did with the original SW trilogy and superimpose a better shark into the original without making it look as sloppy and unfinished as Lucas did with the original trilogy

It seems like every reference to Tanaka, his daughter, or Japan has been replaced with newly created Chinese characters and a plot about a rescuing Chinese scientists.

It seems like every reference to Tanaka, his daughter, or Japan has been replaced with newly created Chinese characters and a plot about a rescuing Chinese scientists.

Now this sounds like pandering to the Chinese market to me. I really wished they stuck to the original plot instead of turning it into some rescue story with the Chinese..

Now this sounds like pandering to the Chinese market to me. I really wished they stuck to the original plot instead of turning it into some rescue story with the Chinese..

Your screen name and avatar being the only thing I know about you, that statement makes me laugh.

Man.... release delayed until pretty much this time next year.

Originally set for a March 2, 2018 premiere, the upcoming action-packed shark movie "Meg," which is distributed by Warner Bros., is pushed back to a later release date now pegged at Aug. 10, 2018.
The reason for the delay is not specified, but its schedule now coincides with Universal's remake of the Al Pacino 1983 crime film, "Scarface."
"Meg" is a movie based on Steve Alten's 1997 science-fiction novel titled "Meg: A Novel in Deep Terror," which details deep sea diver Jonas Taylor's encounter with a 70-foot, 60,000-pound Great White Shark beneath the Mariana Trench while on a deep-sea rescue mission. The big shark was called a Carcharodon Megalodon.

In the movie, Jason Statham ("The Expendables") takes on the role of Jonas, and just like in the novel, he was tasked to go on a deep sea underwater mission in the Mariana Trench to save Chinese scientists from the Carcharodon Megalodon. Jonas had already encountered the sea predator before but now he has to face it once again to save lives - and hopefully make up for his mistake of abandoning half his crew when he first encountered the shark.

In real life, the Megalodon species is known to be extinct. However, in the novel, it is shown that some survived due to a barrier of cold water trapped in the Mariana Trench.
The Chinese scientists in the movie who were attacked by the predator were leading an international observation program when their deep-sea submersible malfunctioned and trapped them underwater.

Alongside Statham, the movie also stars Jessica McNamee ("Dancing with the Stars"), Chinese star Li Bingbing ("The Forbidden Kingdom"), Ruby Rose ("John Wick: Chapter 2"), Rainn Wilson ("The Boy"), Cliff Curtis ("The Last Airbender") and Robert Taylor ("The Matrix") among others.
It is directed by Jon Turteltaub ("National Treasure") and produced by Warner Bros., Flagship Entertainment and Gravity Pictures. The film had a reported budget of $150 million.
"Meg" will premiere in China at an earlier date on February 2018, while its worldwide release follows the August 2018 date currently set by Warner Bros.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/m...es-premiere-from-march-to-august-2018-176579/

Well I guess I got educated.
Who else was expecting..........

Meg_Griffin.png

The Meg (2018)

After being in development hell since the late '90s, we finally get a trailer. Loved the book by Steve Alten so I'm looking forward to this. Looks like fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Meg (2018)

Not familiar at all with the source material, but I am digging the trailer.
Big shark, Jason Statham, Bikinis.. Jason Statham probably punching big shark. I’m in.

This movie Meg is way too big for any real Meg.

I guess sticking to the real size (like a greyhound bus or a semi trailer) didn't open up enough new things to do with it compared to previous shark movies. Existing past shark movies have already stretched living species of sharks halfway to the size of a real Meg.

Still, this looks like Godzilla underwater. I'm a shark buff so that leaves me kind of disappointed right out of the gate.

This movie Meg is way too big for any real Meg.

I guess sticking to the real size (like a greyhound bus or a semi trailer) didn't open up enough new things to do with it compared to previous shark movies. Existing past shark movies have already stretched living species of sharks halfway to the size of a real Meg.

Still, this looks like Godzilla underwater. I'm a shark buff so that leaves me kind of disappointed right out of the gate.

Yup. Like, the first shot with the kid looks about right. The rest is Mega Shark v. Giant Octopus level rescaling. Easy pass for me, or wait for RiffTrax & have a couple beers.

Yup. Like, the first shot with the kid looks about right. The rest is Mega Shark v. Giant Octopus level rescaling. Easy pass for me, or wait for RiffTrax & have a couple beers.

Even in the shot with the kid, Meg is too big. But that's Hollywood for ya.

Not only this is thing too large, it's also looks like it's acting too much like a monster and not like a real animal.

Having read a couple of the Meg books, I can say that this movie looks nothing like the first book, at all. It looks like it's a mash up of the first 2 or 3 books with completely brand new plot elements thrown in. Having said that, I might still watch it and try to forget that it's based on a book series that I really enjoyed and try to enjoy it for what it is.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back