Another Voyager-Next Gen.-DS9, Hypospray prop - 3D printed

propmaster2000

Sr Member
I know this particular prop has been reproduced in many different ways, versions and materials over the years
but since I got my 3D printer and a modeling program installed, I have been looking for things to produce.

This version is by know means a replica of the original since this is 3D printed in PLA.
It is much lighter then an all aluminum one or resin cast and has the ability to be a bit different then any of the others I have seen
on line.

IMG_9692.JPG IMG_9693.JPG IMG_9694.JPG

This one has an option that I thought needed a video to explain:

https://youtu.be/cYX79uWMqis

Side note:
With the hollow body maybe some day I can and a bargraph display to the spray head portion
and working buttons.
Maybe create several different versions with different functions.

Possibly under the access plate, add some "electronic workings" and LEDs.
The possibilities are endless :)

Thanks for looking :)

propmaster2000

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Another Voyager Hypospray prop - 3D printed

I did a bit more modifications to my Voyager style Hypospray 3D print and I think this is the final version.

As I mention in the video, there where a few things about the design that warranted some improvements
without changing the over all look.

I know that there are a few things about the Hypo prop that were never shown or addressed.
The design leads itself well for improving "internal details" as well as a few external functionality options.

I think at some point I will sell at auction a non-painted version as well as a kit which would need partial assembly.

Thanks for watching. :)

Since starting this project, I was just trying to keep it simple.
But after doing a bit more browsing on the net, I have found there are many replicas
of hypos found on Next Gen, DS9, Voyager and the movies.
So, I wanted to design my own versions as well and have features not seen on any other hypospray
as well as incorporating some that have been done.
The good thing is, since this is not an exact replica and more of a "rendition", I have the freedom to steer away from the solid cast resin and
give this version more usability and variations for more realism, which I have not seen in other Hyposprays.

I am not sure that there is much interest in this, but since it is a sight about prop making, I"ll continue
to post :)

Here is another video:

https://youtu.be/7xYrMibmuI8

propomaster2000

Having the ability to produce a prop in many individual piece's makes for a much "cleaner look" when complete.
Very minimal clean up and prep work needed before final paint.
Since I don't have the means to vacuum form or cast in resin, this is just another means I could afford.

Also, I think having the means to "use" a prop in more ways during Cosplay at Cons gives more realism to the device.
Resin cast has the weight, but a hollow one can be made using electronics and battery weight.
Of course this is just my perspective and not necessarily the views of others.

https://youtu.be/ydUfkHU6Yps

This little video shows all the individually printed parts needed to complete my version of the
Star Trek Handheld Hypo Spray.
Many of the parts were modeled and FDM printed separately so that they are made much cleaner to avoid major clean up.
Of course with any Fused Deposition Modeling, there will be visible slight layer lines to be sanded out and filled before paint if needed.
Depositing the filament in layers to create the part horizontally or vertically will produce the final piece having different texture.
If produced horizontally, it will pick of the texture of the build plate of the first layer.

As usual this is awesome work. I didn't catch what 3D printer you use. These seem like very clean prints. Did you do any finishing work.

This a great design. Thanks for sharing your thought process and design choices in creating this hypospray. Definitely going to try to apply some these principles in my 3D print designs.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back